Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Need Help! School me on 9th Gen F150

Hi everyone. Looking at buying a 1996 F150 Eddie Bauer. 6 cylinder with the manual transmission Truck has 106k miles on it and the seller is asking $2650. Overall the truck is clean. I have no knowledge about these trucks. I previously owned a 99 F250 diesel which I absolutely loved and was dead reliable. How are these trucks. I am literally only using this to drive as my beater vehicle. I work in development so sometimes I visit sits. My car is getting trashed. Don't want to spend too much money...

Are they trucks reliable? What things should I look out for? I will probably have th truck checked out.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
That engine is pretty well bulletproof as long as you take care of it. Plenty of low torque too and the 5 speed makes it enjoyable to drive. Don't expect it to have the giddy up as your previous f250. That mileage is definitely decently low. If you can get some pics up, please do.....other wise I'd be lookin at around 2300 bucks to pay for that truck.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
That engine is pretty well bulletproof as long as you take care of it. Plenty of low torque too and the 5 speed makes it enjoyable to drive. Don't expect it to have the giddy up as your previous f250. That mileage is definitely decently low. If you can get some pics up, please do.....other wise I'd be lookin at around 2300 bucks to pay for that truck.

X2 those 300 sixes are great torque monster and can haul a good amount.
Welcome to FTF

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
That truck sounds like it fits the bill of what you're looking for. If you keep that 4.9L Inline 6 oiled regularly, it'll go 300k miles. If not, I'd say you got a lemon. The 5 speed makes it an even sweeter deal.

Welcome to FTF!

:welcome:

Ryan

tedrow42

Missouri Chapter member
Don't know much about thiie eddie bauer but my 89 f150 has the 300 6 in it with a 5 speen and I can load the bed with wood till the frame hits and u will never know u have a load I got over 200k on that truck

Welcome to FTF! Just remember, that even "beater" trucks need to be taken care of. You want a safe truck that all the mechanicals work and you don't hurt anyone or yourself driving it on the road.

X2 to that Roy ..... it never ceases to amaze me how people look after their "good" car which they hardly drive but spend as little maintanence as possible on the vehicle they spend the most time driving on the road

Last edited:

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Great rides . I got 15 MPG on a 95 Bronco I had With same set up. These r easy to work on also.

optikalillushun

Coal Cracker
Hi everyone. Looking at buying a 1996 F150 Eddie Bauer. 6 cylinder with the manual transmission Truck has 106k miles on it and the seller is asking $2650. Overall the truck is clean. I have no knowledge about these trucks. I previously owned a 99 F250 diesel which I absolutely loved and was dead reliable. How are these trucks. I am literally only using this to drive as my beater vehicle. I work in development so sometimes I visit sits. My car is getting trashed. Don't want to spend too much money...

Are they trucks reliable? What things should I look out for? I will probably have th truck checked out.

Short but important list to look for:
- Rust...radiator support, wheel wells, bottom of the front fenders, rear leaf spring hangers n shackles, cab corners if an extended cab, bottom of the tailgate, fuel tanks, coil/shock buckets on the frame, bottom edge of the doors on the inside, inner wheel wells in the bed, oil pan and inside the front bumper.
- Passenger side of the dash, the mount can break and cause it to move up n down.
- On the trans, look for oil stains on the side, there are three rubber plugs that can dry rot and leak oil which causes the trans to take a ****.
- Inspect the front tires for uneven wear, may indicate allignment or front end issues (these front ends are notorious for tire wear).
- If it has dual tanks, sometimes the selector valve fails and causes the tanks to drain into each other.

Besides check the obvious for a freshly cleaned engine to hide oil leaks, check for blow by, etc...basic checks for a used vehicle.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts