Ford Truck Fanatics

Home Forum Gallery TOTM Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > F-Series > Generation 6
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read My Threads / My Replies Fliers

Find us on Facebook

Generation 6 1973-1979 F100, F150, F250, F350

Welcome to the Ford Truck Fanatics forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Login for fewer ads.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:39 PM
Arrogant A-hole At-Large

UTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond repute
(Super) Camper Special Confusion...

Can someone please help un-confuse me (on this topic anyway). It comes in the form of the Super Camper Special and Camper Specials. I was under the belief that from 73-76 the truck, a 2wd F350 to be exact, with a 140" wb was the super camper special. Then in 77 and through 79 they dropped the 'super' for whatever reason...and the 'camper specials' were still 350 2wd 140" wb trucks. Is this correct or incorrect? Reason I ask, is I've seen 250 4wd labeled as camper specials. I thought the trailer special package would be applicable in that case. Can someone please straighten me out. Thanks.

'77 250 400 Boggers (show)__'96 350 CC 460 SSR's (work)__'79 Bronco 400 35's (play)

Quote:
Inspired by Ian
We live in a society that keeps finding answers to problems people never knew they had.
I bow my head to Jesus, stand for my family, love only one woman, and am always proud of what I have.

Standing by my gun and Bible since 1986.

Ben
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2011, 03:59 PM

m78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond reputem78 has a reputation beyond repute
This was discussed in another thread but I can't find it.

Sorry if I confused you.

Mark
Old 02-03-2011, 05:00 PM

SuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond repute
I thought the "Super" Part wasn't till '76...

I guess we're all confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I have some other options if those don't work.

What's your view on sheep?
Old 02-03-2011, 07:53 PM
Born in a '48 Olds

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
I was under the impression that the camper specials were 250's and the super camper specials were 350's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by john112deere
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxlh View Post
Strippers, ammo and SKS, wow, that is almost sig worthy!!
Old 02-04-2011, 07:23 AM
Arrogant A-hole At-Large

UTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond reputeUTfball68 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by m78 View Post
This was discussed in another thread but I can't find it.

Sorry if I confused you.
Don't remember that...and yes, you did confuse me...and your truck is what confused me. Keep in mind, I'm easily confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherdoug View Post
I was under the impression that the camper specials were 250's and the super camper specials were 350's?
Hell if I know. but I was almost certain SCS's were the 140" wb 2wd 350's with the spare tire door in the bed from 73-76. Then I thought the truck remained the same, but they dropped the 'super' from 77-79...and was simply a 'camper special'. Then I see Mark's truck and it's a 78 250 4wd standard wb for a super cab...but it's a camper special??????????

'77 250 400 Boggers (show)__'96 350 CC 460 SSR's (work)__'79 Bronco 400 35's (play)

Quote:
Inspired by Ian
We live in a society that keeps finding answers to problems people never knew they had.
I bow my head to Jesus, stand for my family, love only one woman, and am always proud of what I have.

Ben
Old 02-04-2011, 09:31 AM
Ford Parts Guru

BKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant future
No more confusion, because...

1973/79 F350 Regular Cabs on the 140" wheelbase (all 2WD):

1973/76 Super Camper Special / 1973/79 Trailer Special / 1977/79 Camper Special - Ford dropped "Super" from the name after 1976.

There were F150 & F250 Camper Specials, but these were not on the 140" wheelbase.

1977 was the first year for 4WD Camper Specials.

No F350 was available with 4WD until 1979, and 4WD was not offered with the 140" wheelbase.

2013 Escape SE FWD

Last edited by BKW : 02-04-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:48 AM
Arrogant A-hole At-Large

Thanks Bill. So then does that mean with the exception of the extended wheelbase, bedside tire storage and the 350 badging that the 'camper specials' had the same general principals? IE upgraded electrical system, stouter suspension, etc?

Quote:
Inspired by Ian

Ben
Old 02-04-2011, 11:38 AM
Ford Parts Guru

BKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTfball68 View Post
Thanks Bill. So then does that mean with the exception of the extended wheelbase, bedside tire storage and the 350 badging that the 'camper specials' had the same general principals? IE upgraded electrical system, stouter suspension, etc?
Yes, that's correct. Camper Specials (C/S) also came with a pigtailed wire harness/plug (it was placed inside the glovebox at final assembly).

This plugged in to the C/S only taillamp harness, which had an extra feed wire for this purpose and was used for the camper's clearance lights.

The C/S taillamp harness is the ONLY way to verify if a truck is a C/S...or not, since there are no codes on the Warranty Plate or within the VIN that decode to a C/S.

No extra feed wire...it's not a C/S.

2013 Escape SE FWD

Last edited by BKW : 02-04-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:09 PM
Arrogant A-hole At-Large

Alright thanks...it had been confusing me and hanging me up for a while, much appreciated.

Quote:
Inspired by Ian

Ben
Old 02-04-2011, 12:10 PM

flareside_thunder has a reputation beyond reputeflareside_thunder has a reputation beyond reputeflareside_thunder has a reputation beyond reputeflareside_thunder has a reputation beyond reputeflareside_thunder has a reputation beyond reputeflareside_thunder has a reputation beyond reputeflareside_thunder has a reputation beyond reputeflareside_thunder has a reputation beyond reputeflareside_thunder has a reputation beyond reputeflareside_thunder has a reputation beyond reputeflareside_thunder has a reputation beyond repute
So, then what is the trailer special?