Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Frame repair at steering box

I have a 78 F150 4X4 that I have torn down to restore from the frame up. Today I found that the frame is cracked at the steering box and the frame flexes when the steering wheel is moved. I know they make a kit for chevys with this problem but can't find one for a ford. Does any one know of a kit to fix this or is there a recommended repair?

Invite a welder friend over and have him do it right.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
I'm not a 6th gen expert,but I've read about this before,and it's actually a common problem with these trucks.The bolts work loose,and the steering box wiggles and eventually the frame cracks.I don't fully remember what was done,but I think some people were welding the crack,and then welding a plate to the frame for strength.Hopefully someone else that knows about this problem will chime in.

there are kits avail, it could be plated by a welder but it is against the law for real to weld a frame, so don't go advertising who welded it in case it is in an accident. must be almost a Chevy.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
there are kits avail, it could be plated by a welder but it is against the law for real to weld a frame, so don't go advertising who welded it in case it is in an accident. must be almost a Chevy.

Huh?

So......all of the vehicles that suffer frontal frame damage and have been repaired by welding are illeagal abominations???

I really don't think that this is correct.

To the OP, you can replace the frame if you want, or you can find a competant welder to repair what you already have.

My 2 cents.

Heck, bring it up to ND, and I'll do it for you.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
I'm not a 6th gen expert,but I've read about this before,and it's actually a common problem with these trucks.The bolts work loose,and the steering box wiggles and eventually the frame cracks
100% correctamundo. This problem began in mid-year 1969 (from serial number D96,001), when Ford switched from the Bendix to the Ford P/S gearbox.

This problem affects all 1969/79 2WD's, 1977 F250 4WD's (not High Boys), 1978/79 4WD's and 1978/79 Bronco's.

The original bolts were undersized and too short, the nuts worked loose, the gearbox wiggled around...soon the frame cracked. Not pleasant!

rjphillips: Where the heck did you come up with this horse dung that it's against the law to weld frames?

If that was the case, EVERY FoMoCo dealer was guilty, because that was what was done to fix them.

Ford came out with larger & longer bolts (387529S2 9/16" -18 x 4 1/2") and new lock nuts, then the dealers welded a re-enforcement plate over the damaged area.

And...what the heck do you think body shops and front end shops do when frames are damaged, and/or crossmembers need to be replaced?

New parts are welded in...from day one thru today.

Cars/trucks that are unit-bodied have the body/chassis welded together forming a one piece assembly, with a stub frame used to retain the powertrain. What do you think is done to fix this jazz when damaged?

New parts are welded in.

Suggest you waltz on down to a local body shop or front end shop and see for yourself in person.

Last edited:
Thanks for most of the replies. From what I have been told and read elsewhere, I will be getting a 1/4 inch plate and welding it in after welding and grinding the cracks along with longer grade 8 bolts. I was mainly wanting to confirm what I had been told since I plan on making this truck new again and having it around for many years.

I've seen a couple fellas weld the crack up and grind her down then take some plate and box in the other side of the frame. No problemo after that.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts