Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Another LED light question

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again

chuck101st

Springfield XD-9
Downs,IL.
I'm not sure, but I think that you have to upgrade the flasher unit. The LED bulbs don't pull enough juice to activate the flasher.

I have not tried them yet but they are on my Hipo order list along with the dash lights et all. Turn signals not blinking makes sense as chuck said the flasher is getting enough resistance to flash. But them being dim doesn't make sence they should be pretty bright, do they get alot brighter when you turn the signal on? I know they wont flash but they should still get brighter.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Nothing happens to them. They just are very dim and the turn signal on the cluster turns on but no blinking. I have an entire new fuse block and wiring harness too.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
If the original style bulbs worked and now the LEDs don't, you need a different flasher. I think that there called solid state, or something like that. Those leds don't offer enough resistance for the stock type flasher to function.

NOTE: When replacing incandescent 1157 bulbs with Led bulbs updating your flasher relay may be required. Older vehicles use a thermal type flasher that cycles (flashes) when it heats up based on current from the turn signal circuit. Led bulbs use less than 1/10 of the power of a conventional incandescent bulb so they do not create enough heat to properly activate the thermal flasher. When installing an LED bulb with the older thermal type flasher relay it will blink fast because it thinks that a bulb is blown. Replacing the thermal style flasher with an Electronic Flasher will stop the turn signals from hyper flashing (flashing really fast) and fix this problem.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
OK.......the flasher must be the problem. Thanks guys.

I never considered the flasher when I bought them thinking the flasher relay on my Centech Block was updated and would work.

Last edited:
there is also a resister thats available you wire it inline and it puts enough load on that the stock flasher will work i get my leds from www.superbrightleds.com they have the resisters for around $5.00 each but you may be disapointed with the 1157 replacements as they dont light up enough on signal and its hard to tell it even works [daytime] i threw mine away and went with a better system
i used the 2x6 led truck/trailer lights cut the back out of some spare front and back lights [they just fit] siliconed to seal wired up to stock wireing
wa-la lights that are bright/sealed and will last forever very bright day or night i may even try to cut the top plastic from the led exposing the leds and this should be even brighter as red on red and orange on orange would dim lights a bit regurds joe

Hey Mouse how's that seat working out

Last edited:
hi dennis you talking about the rear seat? sorry i have being busy sell the seat if you can i found out the latch is spot welded on so i probebly will keep the jumpers and carpet the rest very sorry about the delay and the other thing about the ? for numberdummy you know how it is you go with what you know regurds joe

I didn't know the flasher relay would make them dim even when not useing the turn signal. does power go thru the flasher even when they are just on not turning? Something just don't sound right with that.

It is the flasher that creates the flash.. without the flasher the bulb would just stay lit.
contacts Heat up ..separate.....contacts heat up...separate..repeat

I was trying to put in the LED lights for the Park light/turn signals from Hipo which is this one, and it would barely light up and the turn signal wouldn't work. The original incandescent light works fine. Has anyone else tried these?

http://www.hipoparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=74_69&products_id=444

That is what I mean he said they were dim all the time not just when the flasher is on. All he said about the flasher part was that it wouldn't do anything when it was on. But how could the flasher afect the light when it is just on like a running light or parking light?

I am not trying to be difficult but it just sounds like it is something in addition to the flasher.

Last edited:

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Sounds like two things to me Buck.
When you change over to LEDs in your turn signals you have to have a new flasher
http://www.hipoparts.com/index.php?cPath=74_69
Also if you remember these new LED bulbs have a + and - side, you might have to pull out the bulb turn it and try again, sounds crazy but give it a try.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts