Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > F-Series > Generations 8-9

Generations 8-9 1987-1996 F150 + 1987-1997 F250, F350

Old 07-14-2017, 12:02 PM
Redneck Prognosticator

O'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond repute
Fuel Injector Replacement

Hi guys,

My 1994 has a chronic misfire. It's fouled 2 plugs (same cylinder, only it's done it twice.) It's cylinder 4 (passenger back).

The motor has about 5k miles on it since I rebuilt it a few years ago. I replaced the distributor cap, distributor rotor, spark plug wires, and ignition coil. I am ready to do the plug again, but wonder if it's probably the fuel.

If and when I pull the spark plug, I guess I'll determine whether it's running rich or lean.

Help me think through this. If it's black and soiled, is it running rich? And then if it's white and has carbon, is it running lean?

Are both scenarios likely to be the injector since it's the only cylinder that's fouling?

Ryan
Old 07-14-2017, 12:59 PM
Arrogant A-hole At-Large

LEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond repute
It IS possible for both scenarios to arise from a bad injector. Just did all of them on my Lincoln not long ago. Middle two cylinders were throwing codes on opposite sides. Front was clogged, creating a lean situation (white to light tan plug). Rear had a nick in the nozzle and from what I can tell, letting too much fuel in the cylinder...causing it to run too rich (totally black plug). Both cylinders threw injector codes, both cleared up after replacement.

'77 250 400 Boggers (show)__'96 350 CC 460 SSR's (work)__'79 Bronco 400 35's (play)

Quote:
Inspired by Ian
We live in a society that keeps finding answers to problems people never knew they had.
I bow my head to Jesus, stand for my family, love only one woman, and am always proud of what I have.

Standing by my gun and Bible since 1986.

Ben
Old 07-14-2017, 01:46 PM
Redneck Prognosticator

O'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond reputeO'Rattlecan has a reputation beyond repute
Cool, that's good feedback. I was thinking about doing testing to verify it's only one cylinder, but the last time I tested (and replaced the plug) it was only one.

Having said that, I looked around, and a set of 8 injectors isn't much more than buying a single replacement. Since the intake plenum has to come out and the fuel rail has to come off, I may as well do them all. The only other scenario is that the wire loom is defective and causing it not to operate. But I'm praying that's not the issue because then I'll have to remove everything all over again.

Ryan
Old 07-14-2017, 02:12 PM
caffeine junkie

Super Moderator

john112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond repute
Is it fouling with fuel, or oil?

1997 Ranger XLT 4x2, 2.3L 4-cyl 5-speed -- 2009 Ranger XLT 4x4, 4.0L V-6 5-speed -- 1986 BMW R80

The advantages of modern engineering are in many ways over balanced by the disadvantages of modern civilization.
--Col. W.A. Roebling
Old 07-14-2017, 04:30 PM
Redneck Prognosticator

I'm going to pull the plug shortly, but the last 2 times it fouled, it seemed fuel. If it's not obvious, I may share with you guys and see what you think.

Ryan
Old 07-14-2017, 07:46 PM
hitech hillbilly

Admin

smokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond repute
Post a pic of the plug so we can see it.
Randy
Old 07-19-2017, 01:20 PM

Bruners4 will become famous soon enoughBruners4 will become famous soon enough
'94 would have batch fire EFI, so if it was a wiring problem causing a rich fuel condition, you would see it on 4 cylinders. Same if it was a lean condition. An intake leak could also cause a lean condition on one cylinder. With it being #4 cyl, that is a possibility. Really need to see if it is rich (black) or lean (white) fouling when you pull the plug to inspect.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:57 PM
owned by Fords

dustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond repute
There was also a problem with the PVC hose being in the #4 runner of the plenum, fouling out the plug starting in 1993

Drill and tap a new hole near the center of the plenum, and plug that hole

I remember there being a TSB, but that has probably timed out
Old 07-19-2017, 07:00 PM
hitech hillbilly

Admin

smokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond reputesmokey has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for that info Charlie
Randy
Old 07-20-2017, 09:46 AM
Redneck Prognosticator

I converted to Mass Air flow, so the batch firing issue is a different animal.

Ryan