Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Windows fact or myth?

tylstruck

Canadian diisabled Yuppie
Long ago, Clyde told me you must be careful to open a vent window or the window or door on a regular cab truck on a hot day. He told me the air inside an air tight closed truck becomes hot therefore your rear cab window can shatter.

My windows have a mystic black tint to them, added by U-haul. The glass is crystal clear in any cool, or cold weather. If the sun is hot and shining through a window, that window becomes black tint.

The crazy cat lady next door made me a seat cover for my truck's bench seat. Te cover had some black on it, but is faded now. I have been using a windshield sun shade when I'm not using the truck. I just bought another yesterday for the rear window. I also open a door slightly if it's hot out and am home for a while.

Tyl

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
Well, I can vouch (open the door/vent window).. I've done both many many many times and I've never had my rear window shatter. :)

Fellro

Staff member
Never heard that, and the sun does a pretty good job heating up interiors around here... Never had a window break that way.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I've never heard of it, either.

I do remember though, that my grandparents had a Chevette (a diesel one, to boot) when I was little, and they'd open one of the doors before shutting the hatchback. I'm not sure if it was difficult to shut the hatch without the door open, or if he was worried about blowing something out, though- they got rid of the car when I was pretty young.

tylstruck

Oh hahaha, I suppose it's possible. Everytime I open the door on a hot day, the air is hot. I'm surprised it doesn't happen to you, Ryan. You have a regular cab and your truck is all black. Black attracts the sun. My truck, the lower bit is black.

Clyde told me it happened twice on one of his previous trucks. The first time he thought it was mischief kids broke it. The second time it broke in front of his eyes. He wasn't in the truck, but a good distance from it. The glass installer told him that myth? and from then on he leaves his door open a bit.

There's a small GM junkyard in town with mostly modern recent roll over cars or other insurance write-off wrecks. The oldest truck in that lot is a '78 Ford half-ton, primer gray color with a fiberglass cab on the box. Its rear window was blown out, from the sun or other? No clue. The chunks of glassn are both inside and out.

Clyde has this '74 Chev. Sierra 3/4 that he restored 2 yrs ago as a replica and tribute to a Tele series called 'Fall Guy''. I've never seen the show, suppose to be a bounty hunter fighting crime. A popular show in the '70s. If he's there tonight at the cruise, wiill picture the truck.

Tyl

tylstruck

Seems so, Ryan. Aslong as that's the only thing he's pulling... Which ever is fine, but don't touch the middle one.

Tyl

ford4life69

Uwasa Wahya
TEXAS
i live in 100+ about half the year and haven't ever seen any glass shattered from heat. i do try to leave mine down a bit while i'm at work but that's only cuz it's not so incredibly hot by the time i get out there if i do. i think if it were true then the people who own one of these in phoenix wld be screwed! sounds like crap to me too...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts