Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

460 engine wont start

im looking at buying an f250 from the 70s i came across a 79 f250 with a 460 big block he says it ran when he parked it wont start now hes asking 600 for it but im not sure if its worth it what would be the problem with it not starting? battery? fuel pump? what else could it be im not sure if its worth it need some advice
excuse my ignorance im 15 :)

smilieFordlogo

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
Do you know how long it has been sitting? First off, you will have to drain the old gas out and put in fresh. You should also put in a new fuel filter. You will have to check to see if the fuel pump is working and pumping gas to the carb. Unhook the fuel line to the carb and place end in a jar/bottle. Disconnect the center spark plug wire from the distributor to prevent engine from starting. Crank over the engine a few times, fuel should be filling up the container. To check for spark to the plugs, remove the plug and reattach the spark plug wire. With the center wire to the distributor still unhooked, get a friend to crank the engine over while you hold the plug (by the boot) to the engine block. You will be able to see the spark at the electrode. You will have to check the condition of the rotor and cap too, and replace if needed. Engine timing and carb adjustments will most likely have to be made once you get the engine to run. Seems like a lot of things but it's really not. Hope it works out for you, sounds like a good first truck to learn on. And you got to like that 460!

Fellro

Staff member
The trick is, there are a lot of things that can make it not start, some minor, some major. As already discussed, there is some testing you can do, but only useful in making a decision if they allow you to do it.

It can be as simple as a bad wire on the ignition control to the point he motor is totally hosed. If it has a clean body, it could be worth it to pick it up and risk having to buy another motor. If the body is on the rough side, then it makes it a little harder to justify.

okay thanks for the help. for 500$ i think its worth the risk the body is solid my uncle is also a professional painter and could help me out there. ill check too see if the fuel pump is working. should i put new fuel in when i check too see if the fuel pump is pumping or just leave whats in there for that bit of testing?

Fellro

Staff member
Put a splash down the carb to do a quick prime and see how that goes. If all is good but fuel supply, it will possibly fire off.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts