Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > F-Series > Generation 6

Generation 6 1973-1979 F100, F150, F250, F350

Old 05-14-2017, 09:13 AM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
Cruise Control Quit Working.

I took the '78 for a drive yesterday, and couldn't get the cruise to work. The last time I used it, I had to mash on the "set" button pretty hard to get the cruise to work. I installed a new cruise/horn pad from a Gen 7 truck which has worked flawlessly for the last 2 or 3 years. The fuse for the accessory circuit, which powers the cruise, is good. I will check vacuum lines and reservoirs to make sure they are good. I guess the only other possibility is the servo(hard to find a replacement), the amplifier(rebuilt available), or the speed sensor(don't know about availability). And yes, the horn works, also. Another possibility is the connections to the ring on the steering wheel.(Clockspring?)

I've been looking at the vacuum and electrical troubleshooting manual that Duncan posted.(Thank you!)

Any thoughts or experience?

I forgot to state this is a factory installed setup. Everything is original except the Gen 7 horn pad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john112deere
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxlh View Post
Strippers, ammo and SKS, wow, that is almost sig worthy!!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2017, 11:11 AM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
I checked all the vacuum lines and both canisters. I'm not seeing any leaks. I haven't checked any ohm readings yet. I pulled the steering wheel and found nothing obviously wrong with the wiring. I also pulled and reseated the electrical plug for the cruise control under the horn pad.

Quote:
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Old 05-19-2017, 12:13 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

I found a package deal NOS servo/amplifier for $100. Waiting for it to arrive. Hope that solves the problem. Never did do any electrical troubleshooting since ions don't like me...

Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-19-2017, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

SuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond repute
Let us know... hopefully it fixes your problem. Those old vacuum cruise control systems can be a pain

2011 F-150 XLT SuperCrew EcoBoost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I have some other options if those don't work.

What's your view on sheep?
Old 05-20-2017, 08:50 AM
Tonto Papadapolous

Replacing the vacuum amplifier made no difference. My oil pressure gauge no longer works, so I will have to pull the cluster out again to see what I screwed up.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-20-2017, 12:56 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

I replaced the servo with an NOS out of a 1972 Lincoln with 460(exact same setup). The chain from the servo was too long and was rubber coated. The rubber coating did not fit through the bakelite receiver on the carburetor, but a heat gun took care of that problem. Also the chain had to be shortened up so it wasn't dangling on the manifold. It worked great......twice, and then stopped working. Now I'm thinking it might be the horn pad, which was an NOS about 3 years ago from a Gen 7 pickup.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-20-2017, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

CowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond repute
BOO switch (I'd surely expect it to have one)?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherdoug View Post
....the servo(hard to find a replacement), the amplifier(rebuilt available), or the speed sensor(don't know about availability)......
Every now and then I tinker on an experimental project and need parts, and I hit the local upull for them. If you get in a bind, I can keep my eyes out for something you may need; my cost is yours as would be USPS shipping (UPS sux), you do the research on interchanges between vehicle models and bear in mind, although they post the VIN, the lot doesn't inventory details about the features/options/engines/etc etc cars. I think you and most anyone would be amazed at the low prices (look in the linky for them).

Linky:.....http://pullandsave.com/ and I visit the north store.

-Life is far too short to be serious all the time. So if you can't stop and laugh at yourself along the way, give me a call and I'll do it for you.

04 Ranger Fx4 Level II, 5R55E, Sonic Blue Pearl, loaded.

Useful Ford Vehicle Resources:

Owners Manuals >>> http://www.fleet.ford.com/partsandse...owner-manuals/
Build Information (click on "vehicle") >>> https://www.etis.ford.com/
Wiring schematics and TSB's (click on "technical information") >>> http://bbbind.com/
Repair guides, includes schematics w/connector pinouts >>> http://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/r...nfoLanding.jsp

Last edited by CowboyBilly9Mile; 05-20-2017 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:29 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

Thank you, Bill. The brake pedal cancels the cruise, so I'm assuming it does. If I remember, the cruise setup(regarding the brake switch) for this truck was specific to trucks with cruise, and may be hard to find?

Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-20-2017, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

CowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond repute
I'd expect a wear item like a switch would be available for many decades.

-Life is far too short to be serious all the time. So if you can't stop and laugh at yourself along the way, give me a call and I'll do it for you.

04 Ranger Fx4 Level II, 5R55E, Sonic Blue Pearl, loaded.

Useful Ford Vehicle Resources:

Owners Manuals >>> http://www.fleet.ford.com/partsandse...owner-manuals/
Build Information (click on "vehicle") >>> https://www.etis.ford.com/
Wiring schematics and TSB's (click on "technical information") >>> http://bbbind.com/
Repair guides, includes schematics w/connector pinouts >>> http://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/r...nfoLanding.jsp
Old 05-21-2017, 09:26 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

The problem seems to be related to brakes/electrical. I have an older brake controller for a trailer with an indicator light that goes from green to yellow as the trailer brakes are applied. I noticed this morning that when the ignition switch was in the on position,
the indicator light was yellow without pressing the brakes, and that the indicator light would go back to green when the ignition switch was turned off.

I also noticed that I had no brake lights when the pedal was pressed. So, the problem appears to be electrical/brake related. I HATE electrical problems.

I ordered a NOS brake switch for cruise and will replace that. I did disconnect the trailer brake controller, but it made no difference.

Quote:
Quote: