Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

01 focus wierd tps issues

Ok. So. Here it is, I've got a:
2001 focus 2.0 vin 3; dohc, automatic.

I was having an issue where I had lost all power in my acceleration but I haven't gotten any OBD II codes (check engine). I'm new to mechanics, I seem to have a knack, but lack experience. So I spoke to a couple of local mechanics. They told me that, 01 focuses had tps issues. So I replaced it.

HERE is where it gets odd.

The throttle position sensor I took off, and the only tps that will fit, both my throttle body and connector is for a manual transmission. It is identical to the one that came off.

I've spoken to the two previous owners, there has been no motor swap, or thottle body swap.

However now I am getting tps and maf codes popping up. And it is running awful now. Not only does it have almost no power behind the acceleration, the rpms like to jump from 2k-4.5k when shifting to 3rd gear. And when at a stop sign it wants to just die. No warning, no choking, just off. It didn't do any of this until I replaced the tps.

I replaced the tps a second time, to rule out the possibility of a faulty one.

Is it possible that the new tps, has revealed a faulty maf as well?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Is it possible you damaged a wire on the TPS connector in the removal?

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
That is a head scratcher... Do you happen to still have the original tps you took off? Could put it back on and see if the symptoms change at all

Ford Truck Articles