Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

E350 locker

I want to put a locker in my 04 E350. Every now and then I get in a little mud on the job. Usually just backing off of the road and then pulling out.
I need suggestions on what to get. I've read some lock on acceleration and release on deceleration. Does that mean in reverse too ?
Would I be better of with something thats mechanically engaged ?
Is this something I can do or does it have to be re shimmed with gages and such ?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I really think a full carrier locker would be too much for what you're looking for. If it were me, I'd probably look at the lunchbox Detroit EZ locker or look at the Detroit Truetrac which is a geared LS.

Some lockers do give considerable notice when they engage and disengage. And yes, a locker will be active in reverse.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
I've had this bookmarked for some time:
http://flashoffroad.com/Improvements/Lockers/DetroitLockers/detroitLockersInstall.htm
I would go detroit locker...no air lines to worry about like with an ARB....but of course, the argument for the ARB is being able to have control...lockers can be dicey on ice in certain circumstances.

Guess I won't be doing it myself. That ice worries me. We get more here then snow.

I really think a full carrier locker would be too much for what you're looking for. If it were me, I'd probably look at the lunchbox Detroit EZ locker or look at the Detroit Truetrac which is a geared LS.Some lockers do give considerable notice when they engage and disengage. And yes, a locker will be active in reverse.

Your right I could probably get by with the EZ locker. From what I've just read on them, they can be rough coming out of corners. Which is why the ice worries me

I'd probably get crossed up.

Does anybody make a mechanically engaged one ?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Ox locker is the way I'd go for a mechanical/cable select locker. The biggest issue I hear from those though, is the cable binding or seizing.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I believe it is just the locking mechanism...no ring or pinion...and going from 3.55 to 3.73 isn't going to make a lot of difference...4.10 would.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
My point was when you look at the cost of moving to a ratio that close, I don't think you would notice much of an improvement...
Eg....3.55 with a 30'' tire at 60mph=2386 rpm
3.73's would be 2507....so 121 rpm difference...not enough to make much of a difference in towing.
4.10's would be 2755.

My point was when you look at the cost of moving to a ratio that close, I don't think you would notice much of an improvement...
Eg....3.55 with a 30'' tire at 60mph=2386 rpm
3.73's would be 2507....so 121 rpm difference...not enough to make much of a difference in towing.
4.10's would be 2755.

I see what your saying now.

Ford Truck Articles