Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

rear end gears

hi
looking for info i have a 73 with 302 c4 9inch 3.25 butt gears
i want to gear up for freeway driving was wanting imput on running
3.00---2.75----2.50--2.25-- or maybe switch to aod
anybody have any wisdom
thanks

primetime

sawmill slave
I would swap in an AOD with a wide ratio addition (lower first and second). That way you get the best of both worlds. Off the line oomph, and a low cruising speed. If you swap higher gears in you sacrifice off the line power.

Workin' Rig

Stone Cold Bo Norris
I got 3.07s that work pretty well with my 400. Not so well dragging around my 7000lb camper though so im thinking 3.73s are in my future

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
I tend to agree with the first answers you got. I wouldn't want to go any up any more than what you have now and and loose the low end. However, the aftermarket overdrive units can get pricey from what I've seen.

Can you offer any more details about what else you plan to do with the truck. Any other way you'll use it besides freeway driving? That could help people form better suggestions for you.

I would go with the AOD swap since it would be fairly straightforward. I've got the same setup except instead of a c4, I have a RAB 3 speed. My options are more limited unless I want to cut the floor or swap in an auto column. The overdrive will make it much better on the highway.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts