Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > F-Series > Generations 8-9

Generations 8-9 1987-1996 F150 + 1987-1997 F250, F350

Old 02-09-2020, 11:21 PM

Kaajot is on a distinguished road
Question 1992 F-150 Serpentine Problems

New Problem parked the F-150 at the Farm and have the loaner truck again.

The Serpentine Belt shredded itself again -- has 2-3 of its ribs left out of the 6 beads (half width).

The belt had about 100 miles on it!!!!

We've replaced the Smog Pump, fixed the Tensioner Pulley and the Power Steering Pump.

I'm so mad!

Any ideas on what we should be checking? I'm about to get a new alternator on there anyway -- the mechanic DID NOT test that pulley's free spin either, so now he's saying "It could be seizing too." As I told him, there was oil everywhere and I think we damaged nearly every component in that front area because of that before the new engine went into the truck.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2020, 11:37 PM

I found this article discussing the Serpentine Belt. I started to have a feeling the Harmonic Balancer might be the issue, which is crap because this is a brand new engine installed and the balancer SHOULD be lined up properly.

https://www.southcoasttoday.com/arti...news/303199923

We still have to investigate the alternator and recheck the tensioner because I think it could be off at those two points or even the power steering pump.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:27 AM

ainteasybeinsteezy is on a distinguished road
I had this problem on my 91 e350 with the 5.8. The shop somehow misaligned the power steering pump after snapping a stud and doing a lazy fix when I had the timing chain replaced. It took several trips and 6 months but they finally fixed it on their dime. Pull the belt off and run a piece of string around the pulleys on the edge of the pulley and you might be able to see the deflection if its misaligned.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2020, 08:04 AM
don't play well w others

dustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond repute
You need to see what's out of alignment.

If the belt is shreading something is not lined up.

Balancer is probably not bad, or you wouldn't be able to set the timig with a light,
That being said, it may well be that it was not put in deep enough. many mechanics don't have the tool to push the damper all the way in, and try to drive it in with a hammer until the bolt catches, then thry to use the bolt to pull it back. this usually pulls the threads out of the crank, or strips the threads off the bolt.

Second area to check is the pulley on the power steering pump. this uses a similar tool to set the pulley, and can set the pulley too deep, or shallow if not done properly.

At this point, best check for you is a trick Jake suggested the other day for mine.
Put the belt back on, take a timing light, and hook it up.
at night, start the truck, shine the light at the running belt, and look for where it is out of line. the flashes will pick up on the belt numbers, and you will see which pulley is out of alignment.
Try this, and let us know what you find.

Pictures of course are a big help.

Last edited by dustybumpers; 02-10-2020 at 08:07 AM.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustybumpers View Post
You need to see what's out of alignment.

If the belt is shreading something is not lined up.

Balancer is probably not bad, or you wouldn't be able to set the timig with a light,
That being said, it may well be that it was not put in deep enough. many mechanics don't have the tool to push the damper all the way in, and try to drive it in with a hammer until the bolt catches, then thry to use the bolt to pull it back. this usually pulls the threads out of the crank, or strips the threads off the bolt.

Second area to check is the pulley on the power steering pump. this uses a similar tool to set the pulley, and can set the pulley too deep, or shallow if not done properly.

At this point, best check for you is a trick Jake suggested the other day for mine.
Put the belt back on, take a timing light, and hook it up.
at night, start the truck, shine the light at the running belt, and look for where it is out of line. the flashes will pick up on the belt numbers, and you will see which pulley is out of alignment.
Try this, and let us know what you find.

Pictures of course are a big help.
Yep, we'll get some pictures. Thanks Dusty & Jake!

The engine was remanufactured by S&J Engines, so it does have a pretty high standards. I read through their reviews and even some driveway mechanics had good experiences when S&J determined the guy was skilled enough to fix their head job manufacturing defect, they reimbursed parts and paid $25/hr for him to do the job and get the new engine "operational" as intended. So, not a bad company overall. Hopefully they did set it deep enough (I read about the harmonic balancer being extended/too short if they tightened it incorrectly).

BUT, I'm gonna lean on my mechanic. He was in a rush to get the power steering pump back on. I helped him take the old one off in 5 minutes because the Autozone delivery guy was there and would waive the core charge if it was good to go and the delivery guy had a few minutes to spare. But I am pretty sure that PSP was installed JUST as fast and Keith's famous words were "We don't need the spacers or those instructions." I held on to them for posterity (and because I had a bad feeling about this). So there's a chance it's the offender again. We'll re-examine everything and try the string trick too.

Also, I'm pretty sure Keith examined the timing when we had the transmission bungling everything earlier last month, so yeah, probably not the harmonic balancer but will be calling S&J Engines anyway since I want to find out where they get their oil filler tubes when they ship a long block (still looking and oil change is due in 150-200 miles).
Old Today, 04:27 AM

ainteasybeinsteezy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaajot View Post
Yep, we'll get some pictures. Thanks Dusty & Jake!

The engine was remanufactured by S&J Engines, so it does have a pretty high standards. I read through their reviews and even some driveway mechanics had good experiences when S&J determined the guy was skilled enough to fix their head job manufacturing defect, they reimbursed parts and paid $25/hr for him to do the job and get the new engine "operational" as intended. So, not a bad company overall. Hopefully they did set it deep enough (I read about the harmonic balancer being extended/too short if they tightened it incorrectly).

BUT, I'm gonna lean on my mechanic. He was in a rush to get the power steering pump back on. I helped him take the old one off in 5 minutes because the Autozone delivery guy was there and would waive the core charge if it was good to go and the delivery guy had a few minutes to spare. But I am pretty sure that PSP was installed JUST as fast and Keith's famous words were "We don't need the spacers or those instructions." I held on to them for posterity (and because I had a bad feeling about this). So there's a chance it's the offender again. We'll re-examine everything and try the string trick too.

Also, I'm pretty sure Keith examined the timing when we had the transmission bungling everything earlier last month, so yeah, probably not the harmonic balancer but will be calling S&J Engines anyway since I want to find out where they get their oil filler tubes when they ship a long block (still looking and oil change is due in 150-200 miles).
Sounds like it's the ps pump for sure then

Old Today, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainteasybeinsteezy View Post
Sounds like it's the ps pump for sure then

That's what I keep thinking, but the mechanic swears my pulley replacement for the tensioner is enough. I will shred another belt to prove him wrong. I'm kind of sick of that modus operandi.

Tags
1992 f150, 4.9l, serpentine belt, shredding