Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Gas vs. Diesel

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
You can't buy a brand new Ford with a 460, Ryan. :D

I dunno- I'm a diesel sort of guy, but it takes a hell of a lot to prove an engine worthy to me. I like the 7.3, the 300 I-6, and the 2.3 4-banger (Lima, not DOHC). All the rest, I'm a little iffy on. This would present sort of a problem if I had the money to buy a new fullsize pickup...

Wonder how/if that might have changed with a 6-speed manual, too. I've read a lot of guys who say they don't like the manual in the newer Ford diesels, and I won't drive an automatic....

Last edited:

blacksnapon

Staff member
Try explaining to a customer at the dealership level, that their fuel mileage isn't a problem with the truck, its a driver induced problem.

Yawnnnnn. Another biased Gas vs Diesel article

There is always a factor or several that these so-called experts seem to forget when they start their biased comparisons - and that is the much increased costs of operation and maintenance for oil and the miscellaneous filter changes. My V10 will use from Wally World, one FL820 oil filter @ $4.00 and 7 quarts of good oil @ $1.69 ea(if I don't buy Mobil 1 or Amsoil) every 4-6000 miles. Add that to the $8400 premium. Then since diesel in my neck of the woods is .35 to .50 MORE per gallon and getting higher daily and the fact that of the guys that I've talked to, they are getting closer, in real life, to an actual 12 mpg towing and 15/16 otherwise - kinda make it hard for me to give in to the screaming diesel crowd. Then add the extra miles to even find diesel - the local guy doesn't carry it at his store. Oh, and let's add the several days loss of the truck's use if you have problem - and the cab has to be lifted to get to the trouble area. Even with the very long warranty period, if you have to leave the truck and take other transportation - especially bad if you use it in a business.

Would I like to have a Ford diesel in my F350. You bet - but not a 6.0 or 6.4 and their spotty reliability record. Put the old 7.3 back as an option and I'd trade in minute. Until then, I'll suffer the "poor" gas mileage of my V10 - it's still better then either of my ancient 460s - with better reliability and the fact that even I can do most mechanical work on it without major disassembly of cabs and engines - myself and without much more then a box of metric wrenches and sockets.:guns:

blacksnapon

Staff member
Yawwwwn....another biased "you gotta pull the cab on a diesel" response. YOU DONT GOTTA PULL THE CAB! It makes it easier to work on to pull the cab. They're pulling cabs on gas jobs too! I've seen them popping cabs off of gms,dodges, and foreign makes. It is just easier without the body in the way for some jobs. Oh, and FYI, there has been less problems here with the 6.4 than the V10.

Yawwwwn....another biased "you gotta pull the cab on a diesel" response. YOU DONT GOTTA PULL THE CAB! It makes it easier to work on to pull the cab. They're pulling cabs on gas jobs too! I've seen them popping cabs off of gms,dodges, and foreign makes. It is just easier without the body in the way for some jobs. Oh, and FYI, there has been less problems here with the 6.4 than the V10.

You obviously didn't read my entire post.

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
I like the 7.3, the 300 I-6, and the 2.3 4-banger (Lima, not DOHC). All the rest, I'm a little iffy on...

I'm partal to the Windsor and FE series too....

I don't know if I'd buy a new diesel at this point in time, i've not seen a new PSD getting over 18-19 on average whereas my boss' '90 gets 23-25 on the average (been tinkered with a bit).

If I could find the V10 with a 5-6 speed I'd seriously consider it over the oil burner for the fact stated of fuel being .50 more in some places.[confused]

HOWEVER, I'm not in a position to get a new truck so I'll stick to the IDI diesels of the late '80s and early '90s :cooldude:

blacksnapon

Staff member
You obviously didn't read my entire post.
Yep, sure did! Diesel is more expensive....now. The oil changes are cheaper in a gasser. Diesel will out pull a gasser, with less stress on the engine (I'm talking about heavy duty hauling, not RV pulling). Put steady 25k behind a gasser and a diesel, the diesel will outlast it. As far as the 7.3......Do you recall the 6.9? Then the next generations of that engine, up to the "beloved" 7.3? Yes, the 7.3 was good after many revisions, but you still have to carry a cmp sensor in the glove box. Not buying a diesel because of "pulling the cab" fears..........If your 10 pounder needs a motor or head work, the cab comes off. As far as I know I've never had a plug blow out of the head on a 6.0 or a 6.4. They all have their own issues, they all have their strong points. If you are happy with your V10, Its done its job. Thats all that matters.

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
Yep, sure did! Diesel is more expensive....now. The oil changes are cheaper in a gasser. Diesel will out pull a gasser, with less stress on the engine (I'm talking about heavy duty hauling, not RV pulling). Put steady 25k behind a gasser and a diesel, the diesel will outlast it. As far as the 7.3......Do you recall the 6.9? Then the next generations of that engine, up to the "beloved" 7.3? Yes, the 7.3 was good after many revisions, but you still have to carry a cmp sensor in the glove box. Not buying a diesel because of "pulling the cab" fears..........If your 10 pounder needs a motor or head work, the cab comes off. As far as I know I've never had a plug blow out of the head on a 6.0 or a 6.4. They all have their own issues, they all have their strong points. If you are happy with your V10, Its done its job. Thats all that matters.

Not only that, it will burn vegetable oil with VERY little modification..........THAT comes REAL cheap out from behind Taco Bell ;)

Gunner

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts