Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Exhaust manifold "studs" source

Hey fellas, I hope I'm posting this in the right section; guess it could've been posted in several different ones.

Anyway, I discovered my exhaust manifold was cracked, so I removed it and the intake manifold (had the carb off to kit it). Ordered a new manifold, just painted it today with high temp flat black. I also went to a few local stores (including Fastenal) to gather new bolts, studs, and nuts for the manifolds as I hate using the old ones when I do a job like this.

Come to find out that no stores around here have the 2 studs that screw into the exhaust manifold (they are 4.5" long and go through the intake manifold to hold the 2 together). So I've been soaking those studs in hopes that I can get them out.

In case I can't, I'm wondering if anyone here has a source for new studs?

3/8-16 on the end that screws into the exhaust manifold, and 3/8-24 on the end that slips through the intake.

I know you guys will have some answers, and I truly appreciate any help. Just wanna get the old girl put back together and running again so me and my family can enjoy it....

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Maybe LMC truck?

IMO, you really ought to make an effort to install OEM fasteners, even if they are used (run a die down the threads before install and a bottoming tap in the holes in the head.).

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Hey fellas, I hope I'm posting this in the right section; guess it could've been posted in several different ones.

Anyway, I discovered my exhaust manifold was cracked, so I removed it and the intake manifold (had the carb off to kit it). Ordered a new manifold, just painted it today with high temp flat black. I also went to a few local stores (including Fastenal) to gather new bolts, studs, and nuts for the manifolds as I hate using the old ones when I do a job like this.

Come to find out that no stores around here have the 2 studs that screw into the exhaust manifold (they are 4.5" long and go through the intake manifold to hold the 2 together). So I've been soaking those studs in hopes that I can get them out.

In case I can't, I'm wondering if anyone here has a source for new studs?

3/8-16 on the end that screws into the exhaust manifold, and 3/8-24 on the end that slips through the intake.

I know you guys will have some answers, and I truly appreciate any help. Just wanna get the old girl put back together and running again so me and my family can enjoy it....
What is the year of the truck, what is the engine size?

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
my mustang had issues with the studs where the downpipes bolted to the manifold.. i just found it easier to grab Stainless steel bolts at the hardware store to bolt it back in. I just matched the length of the studs..

if you didnt want to go that route.. since you know the thread size just measure the length and you could order even stronger bolts from ARP..

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts