Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1977 Exhaust Manifold Problem

I have a 1977 F-150 with a 300 CID in-line 6 cylinder. Was told at last inspection that the exhaust manifold is leaking and needs new gasket. Was quoted $375.00 plus more if studs or bolts are broken. Looking at the bolts and studs they are really rusted over. I have sprayed them with Blaster but can't get to all. The truck has some other problems like body rust, dash back needs replacing and hood latch handle is broken, etc. I would really like to keep it since I have replaced the tires, tailpipe and emergency brake cables. Is it worth putting the money in it or should I just scrap and cut my losses. Paid $375.00 that included a cap and put about $600.00 in the other repairs. Thanks for any thoughts, suggestions or possible solutions. Maybe someone here has had similar problems and can give their ideas.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
It is a case of economics versus intrinsic value. If you're after the economic analysis, then, yes, it won't pay to keep.

If the truck has intrinsic value, hang onto it, and repair. You will NEVER get back out of it what you put into it.

I have a 1977 F-150 with a 300 CID in-line 6 cylinder. Was told at last inspection that the exhaust manifold is leaking and needs new gasket. Was quoted $375.00 plus more if studs or bolts are broken. Looking at the bolts and studs they are really rusted over. I have sprayed them with Blaster but can't get to all. The truck has some other problems like body rust, dash back needs replacing and hood latch handle is broken, etc. I would really like to keep it since I have replaced the tires, tailpipe and emergency brake cables. Is it worth putting the money in it or should I just scrap and cut my losses. Paid $375.00 that included a cap and put about $600.00 in the other repairs. Thanks for any thoughts, suggestions or possible solutions. Maybe someone here has had similar problems and can give their ideas.

Have you tryed heat?Can use a small butane torch,or start the engine,
an let it heat up...:)

Thanks for the ideas. Not so much concerned about getting money out of it as opposed to keep putting more into the truck. To me it is worth preserving but on my budget putting thousands into the truck isn't possible. As for heat - it's a project beyond my abilities. I have until the end of September to decide...I think I would rather sell it than scrap it but have no idea what to ask for it. I'm guessing at scrap prices it's maybe in the $400/500. Thanks for your opinions and I hope more will add theirs. I can live with the looks not being the greatest and I would say it runs OK for an old truck. I think in the two/three years I have owned it I haven't put over a 1000 miles on it.

Just thought I would update what I did with my truck. Put it in shop after using a can of PB Blaster on what I could see. Got a call today and the mechanic said the manifold is cracked and repair plus tax and inspection would be $576.00. I'm hoping that will be last major repair and I can work on other stuff a little at a time. The cluster dash back needs replacing first. I had tried it before and it just crumbled...probably buy a new one and replace. I think someone posted info on that repair earlier. Right now at night I use a flashlight to see dash. :) Thanks again for the comments and support.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Thank you for the update. New gauge cluster backing can be had for about $65 +/-(from memory). I've had one for about 8 years with NO sign of degradation to this point, and it was a perfect fit.

Thanks. Got truck home now. The oil leak has been fixed too. Only problem now is it won't idle until warm. Has kind of an uneven idle. Ran fine ...maybe just need to run more.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
New :confused: gauge cluster back can be had for about $65 +/-(from memory). [confused]

I've had one for about 8 years with NO sign of degradation to this point, and it was a perfect fit.
1975/79 F100/350 - 1975/80 Econoline - 1978/79 Bronco cluster backs were made of a composition material that can TURN TO DUST before your very eyes!

1981: FoMoCo came out with hard plastic cluster backs for Econolines, these were also the service part replacements for the POS cluster backs.

E1PZ-10848-A .. Hard Plastic Cluster Back-Use with Oil/Amp GAUGES / Obsolete

Applications: 1981/91 Econoline / Retrofit: 1975/79 F100/350, 1975/80 Econoline, 1978/79 Bronco.

E1PZ-10848-B
.. Hard Plastic Cluster Back - Use with Oil/Amp WARNING LAMPS / Obsolete

Applications: 1981/86 Econoline / Retrofit: 1975/79 F100/350, 1975/80 Econoline, 1978/79 Bronco.

Dennis Carpenter (800-476-9653) has both these cluster backs NOS .. AFAIK neither are reproduced.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts