Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Aluminum condenser repair

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Well the ac quit on my '87 non ford. Condenser is cracked and let the freon out. This is the second one that has done this... Bad design I'm thinking. Hard to believe, I know.

I have no spare to replace it with this time and so I need ideas on fixing it. JB Weld is out. Tried that already :D

ypate9yr.jpg

I'm told there is a way to solder aluminum? Not sure on the specifics though.

What are your thoughts?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Get a Ford.

:D

I'm not sure what to suggest...that is pretty thin tubing...maybe getting it TIG welded?...I know that you don't want to get anything foreign in the AC lines.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
If ford made something I wanted I'd buy it...

I don't want to spent too much on it unless I know it's not going to break again... It's a pain in the $$$ evacuating and recharging it too :headbang:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Cool, good to know about that stuff.

Fellro

Staff member
I came across something today at work that made me think of this thread. 3M has an epoxy they claim will hold up to 4500 for refrigerant coils. Scotch Weld epoxy adhesive 2214 is the name.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
It has held with no problems. I would recommend it to anyone. Just do like the instructions say and try it on something unimportant first... It is a little odd and takes a few trys to get it.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts