Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > Superduties & Other Trucks > Superduty Gen.3

Superduty Gen.3 2011-up F250, F350, F450, F550

Old 03-30-2011, 11:50 PM
Texas Chapter member

fordman76367 will become famous soon enough
i wouldnt get a 6.2 for a superduty..of corse im not much on gasser superduties either.. my dad had a 05 f250 lariat with the 5.4 and it dissapoints me greatly...it has no problems...theres just not much "super" to its duty...if ya want a 6.2 getcha a half ton with one..not a super duty..ull like the 6.7 better i promise

2012 f150 xlt texas edition, daily driver/ the pretty boy bought 5/1/12 front and rear replacement bumpers with much more to come
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2011, 10:19 AM

fea1636 is on a distinguished road
i have a 199 f550 that i need to replace the in tank fuel pumps in I took the top covers off the tank but the pump must be bolted to the bottom of the tank or some thing can anyone shed some light on my next step on removing the pumps from the tanks?

Thanks in advance
Fred
Old 04-07-2011, 10:25 AM

fea1636 is on a distinguished road
Yes my 550 is a 6.2 gas engine sorry I forgot that in my first post

Fred
Old 12-19-2011, 07:24 AM

Bax will become famous soon enoughBax will become famous soon enough
A buddy and I pulled a 66 bronco from atlanta to arkansas with his new 6.2 gas dually. Truck performed fine, I was uncomfortable with the 6K sustained hill climbs. The motor with the 6 speed auto worked good except the auto was forever hunting for the gear it wanted to be in. I have a 2000 7.3 and it would of pulled the load up the same hills without all the 6k rpm and multiple gear downshifts needed to sustain 70 MPH. Now to add the hurt. The truck never got over 8 MPG when it was pulling. Hills or no hills the gas milage sucked My 7.3 would of got about 13MPG pulling the same load. He just could not bring himself to buy another diesel, is what he told me. ( 6.0 victim) " It was either buy the gas Ford or switch to a chevy" it what he said to me. He added " I don't like chevy so I will stick with my fords". Clearly still a ford person finding himself with limited PROVEN options on engines. The 6.2 sucks for pulling. It will get around 12 on the HWY unloaded.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:06 PM

flareside_thunder has a reputation beyond reputeflareside_thunder has a reputation beyond reputeflareside_thunder has a reputation beyond reputeflareside_thunder has a reputation beyond reputeflareside_thunder has a reputation beyond reputeflareside_thunder has a reputation beyond reputeflareside_thunder has a reputation beyond reputeflareside_thunder has a reputation beyond reputeflareside_thunder has a reputation beyond reputeflareside_thunder has a reputation beyond reputeflareside_thunder has a reputation beyond repute
Pretty good power....the work truck ive driven has gotten almost 18mpg with mixed driving. this is with a utility bed loaded won with 20 or so batteries. The transmission seems to be the issue at hand for now. Been to the dealer 4 times and it's a 2011 with 50k miles on it.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

Super Moderator

SuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond reputeSuperCab has a reputation beyond repute
Seen a bunch of them out here as many people avoid diesels because of the extreme cold weather. If you're out in the oil fields on on a jobsite all day and can't plug in, the gasser's got a better chance of firing up when it's -20F...

I hear they're ok, but we'll see when they get a little older. Many guys go for the V10 anyway...

2011 F-150 XLT SuperCrew EcoBoost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I have some other options if those don't work.

What's your view on sheep?
Old 12-20-2011, 06:42 PM
caffeine junkie

Super Moderator

john112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond repute
Had one at work last summer. CC/LB F-350 4x4. I never really drove it much (it was somebody else's truck)...it had more power than traction taking off on wet grass, but that's not saying much.

Dashboard computer said 14.2 mpg on the factory all-terrains (and 13.8 on Cooper Discoverer M+S), virtually empty, but with a cap and a big light bar- mostly rural highway miles, but driven by a guy who knew he had a fleet gas-card. No issues in the first 35k miles.

1997 Ranger XLT 4x2, 2.3L 4-cyl 5-speed -- 2009 Ranger XLT 4x4, 4.0L V-6 5-speed -- 1986 BMW R80

The advantages of modern engineering are in many ways over balanced by the disadvantages of modern civilization.
--Col. W.A. Roebling
Old 12-20-2011, 10:12 PM

clutch will become famous soon enoughclutch will become famous soon enough
had a 2010 F350 at work last summer, 4x4 extra cab with a utlity bed, got maybe 12 to 14, still under 5k on odometer. I liked it more than most of the guys, my biggest complaint is the piss poor turning radius. oh, and we ran Goodyear mudterrains, if it matters. pretty sure this was a 6.2L even though the boss said it was a v10, lol.

Click for Truckee, California Forecast
Old 12-22-2011, 08:03 PM
sawmill slave

primetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond reputeprimetime has a reputation beyond repute
The 6.2 is a new V-8. The V-10s were 6.8s.

Lets not forget, a dually Super Duty is probably at least 7000 lbs. It takes a lot of fuel to make 400 hp and move that much weight. (As gas engines go anyways, oh, and it doesn`t cost $9000).

And just to put it out there, a friend of mine hauls scrap, firewood, and boughs for a living. He but a new 2011 Chevy 3500, regular cab, 4x4 with 4.10s and a 6.0 gas engine. He averages about 11 mpg. (And cries!).

Justin

With a little luck and a greenback dollar you gonna see me shine.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:15 AM

2011F250Lariat is on a distinguished road
6.2L vs. 6.7L

Well a lot of these trucks are having transmission issues with the new 6 speed trans, wether its a 6.7l diesel or 6.2l gas engine. I have the gas and it spends a lot of time at the dealer. No known fix as of yet.

The diesel yields better gas mileage, however you pay more for oil and filters, as it takes more then twice the capacity of oil, and diesel filters are more expensive, got to buy DEF fluid, and diesel fuel is more expensive today, so id say unless you are doing 30K miles a year in your truck, or always towing a large load, it doesn't matter that much. More maintenance on diesels, and more expensive to repair, and more things to go wrong, gasser is less maintenance and cheaper to repair and maintain.

But id read up on forums about the transmission issues, HARD AND ABRUPT SHIFTS, SHIFT FLARES, NEAUTRAL IN BETWEEN GEARS, DELAYED REVERSE, JERKS, ETC. This is a big problem for thousands of ford customers right now, and no solution as of yet!

Other issues, weak sound system, the previous adiophile and new sony (2013+) systems are WAY better, the 2011-2012 is weak! No dual alternators or second battery in gasser. Oviously half the torque in gasser, but this only comes into play when you seriously work the truck! Heavy towing loads etc. And due to the double torque in the diesel, you wear tires twice as fast.

Last edited by 2011F250Lariat; 12-10-2012 at 08:25 AM.