Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What did you work on today

heavydoc

Instigator
Staff member
WNC
Tried to pull the zf out of the f 350 today. Frozen in there good. Clutch has ahold of the input shaft is NOT letting go.

Frame on truck is thin enough to poke my finger through in several places. Might be changing over to the 94 powerstroke frame now, not later
Make me a list what you need boyzzzzz. This truck is going to get cut up when I'm done

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
You already have my list[emoji6]

Core support is rusted on driver side. Motor is locked up. I can be nice taking the wiring harness off, but even the a/c compressor is locked up. Truck sat for 9 years with no valve covers, no hood.
Already pulled the radiator for the centarian
The evaporator is toast, someone tried to steal it, used a sawzaw

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

How about the dash bezel ? Is it serviceable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cd34d81a608208b320984f644cc1fdf1.jpg

Injectors on a 6.0 diesel ....

heavydoc

Instigator
Staff member
WNC
Good job Charlie, I know those can be a real SOB

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Blue-Truck-Nut97

crank polisher
Nice! Glad you are de-clutched. That sucks. You may already do it, but thought I'd mention anyway, coat the shaft splines with a healthy coat of anti seize when you go back together.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

heavydoc

Instigator
Staff member
WNC
Went and put this excavator together Friday afternoon
afd6e093166cfdab8a3c14ed806e3ddc.jpg

19bbd7ff64fe2d348d7c026d768c2bf2.jpg

It wasn't today, but I did single-handedly replace a rusted gas tank and straps on my Crown Vic yesterday morning.

It's likely not a big deal compared to some of the things I've seen posted here, but the fact that it was in a parking lot on jack stands and I had to wrestle it into it's vertical mounting position was quite a feat.

I jumped on what I thought was a good deal (5400) with a good amount of miles for the year (71k/07) and a good Carfax report.

I noticed later that one of tank straps was rusted through and broken and I foolishly thought I had some time while I still had one left. Well, I let too much time go by and I heard and felt a "pop" under the rear of the car while doing 70 on the freeway.

As I exited the freeway, I felt a scrape from under the car and knew immediately that the "pop" was the other tank strap and it was my tank scraping the road when going over bumps (see pic).

So after getting to my daughter's school, I parked it and walked about a half mile back to a Walmart I couldn't get to because of where the overpass merges with the roadway. I bought two ratchet straps to secure the tank and got it home where it sat until I could get a tank and straps. It was also somewhat brisk and raining while I did all of this.

After getting sub $1k quotes from shops to replace everything, I got the straps from Amazon, the strap bolts from Ebay and the tank from Autozone. The first tank I ordered had the wrong style hole for one of the evap containers so waiting for the correct tank added an extra weekend. I also need to replace a plastic tee that appears to be part of the evap system that broke when the strap snapped, I may try to glue it or secure it with JB Weld. It doesn't appear to affect drivability aside from a message that thinks the gas cap is loose.

When all was said and done, I was out $250 in parts and 7hrs over two Saturdays. Funny thing is that my "good deal" has already needed an alternator and gas tank/straps and now I feel a vibration in the steering wheel at parking lot speeds when turning left. Also the driver side power seat failed (fortunately in a good driving position) and a few little things are starting to act up.
42d468ad96fa3fd1bef570429a73eb90.jpg

Last edited:

Blue-Truck-Nut97

crank polisher
Well, I did suggest a story.........
Sorry for the rough luck on that one. Sounds like it has been a trying experience. Congrats on the tank install though, as was said earlier doing a tank without a lift sucks very much badly.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts