Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > General Maintenance, Performance, and Tech. Info > Electrical

Old 02-03-2020, 06:07 PM

sectlandscaping is on a distinguished road
No Wipers and Taillights

No wipers and tail lights. The turn signal, hazards and brake lights work. The warning lights wont turn on.

I replaced the multifunction switch and went through the fuses and relays. The only bad fuse was the tow battery charge. Now I'm not sure where to look?

2005 f350 6.0 diesel
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2020, 07:29 PM
Texas Chapter member

Jasperrc has much to be proud ofJasperrc has much to be proud ofJasperrc has much to be proud ofJasperrc has much to be proud ofJasperrc has much to be proud ofJasperrc has much to be proud ofJasperrc has much to be proud ofJasperrc has much to be proud of
Can you tell if you have power to the tail light and wiper circuits coming out of the switch?

Might have to look at the schematic to see if there is anything in common between the wipers and tail lights.

'77 F100 Flareside

"If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway."
Old 02-03-2020, 08:31 PM

Not sure where to probe to check. I could try the wiper motor switch but I doubt theres power there. I tried at the tail light housing in the rear.

I was looking for the body control module but cant find it. I even called the dealer to ask where it was located. They vaguely said behind the driver side seat in the kick panel but nothing is there. On my 06 Gas f350 its behind the glove box. I was going to switch them. I read about it behind fuse box, its part of the fuse box and passenger side kick panel.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:31 AM

heavydoc is a splendid one to beholdheavydoc is a splendid one to beholdheavydoc is a splendid one to beholdheavydoc is a splendid one to beholdheavydoc is a splendid one to beholdheavydoc is a splendid one to beholdheavydoc is a splendid one to behold
I believe the GEM is mounted to and part of the fuse panel. I am thinking there are 2 separate issues there, unless they share a comment ground. iirc the wiper has constant power and uses a broken ground to change the resistance ie speed of the wiper.
20 Kenworth T270

"DOC"
Old 02-04-2020, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavydoc View Post
I believe the GEM is mounted to and part of the fuse panel. I am thinking there are 2 separate issues there, unless they share a comment ground. iirc the wiper has constant power and uses a broken ground to change the resistance ie speed of the wiper.
So could I just ground the wiper motor? And see if it powers? I was going to disconnect motor and run 12v to it.

Didnt really look into bad motor because of the tail light issue. I figured there connected to the multifunction switch, GEM, BCM.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:36 PM

heavydoc is a splendid one to beholdheavydoc is a splendid one to beholdheavydoc is a splendid one to beholdheavydoc is a splendid one to beholdheavydoc is a splendid one to beholdheavydoc is a splendid one to beholdheavydoc is a splendid one to behold
It's hard to say, I would start testing power and grounds at the connectors first to see what is where.
20 Kenworth T270

"DOC"
Old 02-12-2020, 03:32 PM

Fuses all are good. I took off the wiper motor and tried to put 12v to it and I got a click on small middle terminals but nothing on outside bigger 4. Except when I crossed them and wire started to melt.

The harness has 12v across the 2 big outside terminals and 5v on another. Sounds like bad motor?
Old 02-13-2020, 12:16 AM

So I swapped the wiper motor out and it works. I couldnt figure out how to bench test it. I tried what I did with the bad one but it wouldnt move either. So I guess the answer is to test the harness.

Gonna look at the headlight switch and see what I come up with for taillights.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:22 AM

Well was just gonna say it sounds like a bad motor, but you already replaced it. Glad you found that problem, now onto the lights.
20 Kenworth T270

"DOC"