Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

top end upgrades

Well.. when the timing chain went, it ended up bending about 6 pushrods...I'm going to pull the heads and check out everything else this weekend.
BUT... since I will have them off and I need to replace stuff, what should I be doing while in there? Any reccommendations on rods, lifters, etc?

I'm going to go ahead and take the heads in and have them gone over, cleaned up, etc...

This is in a 1984 F250, 460, 4 speed, 4x4

Thx
M

primetime

sawmill slave
Musta missed this one. If you`re that far, pull it and throw new rings and bearings at it.

But like Ridgerunner said, cam, intake, and headers. That will wake it right up. 460s have cams that are meant to move Lincolns around. The cam timing was also retarded for emissions. The intakes aren`t much better. Don`t forget valve springs of you upgrade the cam. The stock ones are kinda weak from what I understand.

The last one I did got a rering, Erson TQ40 cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM, and headers. With the TCI convertor, 3.50 gears, and shoving around a F-150, it was a lot of fun. Especially when you consider the money I had into it.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
Musta missed this one. If you`re that far, pull it and throw new rings and bearings at it.

But like Ridgerunner said, cam, intake, and headers. That will wake it right up. 460s have cams that are meant to move Lincolns around. The cam timing was also retarded for emissions. The intakes aren`t much better. Don`t forget valve springs of you upgrade the cam. The stock ones are kinda weak from what I understand.

The last one I did got a rering, Erson TQ40 cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM, and headers. With the TCI convertor, 3.50 gears, and shoving around a F-150, it was a lot of fun. Especially when you consider the money I had into it.

Luckily it doesn't take much to wake a 460 up. If you are going to rebuild the engine I would look at some good heads.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts