Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What year would you recommend?

Hey, guys! I have recently decided that I would like to purchase an older truck. I would like to get a truck that would allow me to learn how to a lot repairs on my own.

My question is what year and engine would you guys recommend? I'm looking for the most reliable year as well as easy to work on for a beginner.

Thanks everyone, your answers are much appreciated! JB

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Being in this section I assume you're looking for a 73-79 truck. Front Discs and shoulder belts became standard across the board in 76...so that's where I'd start. FE's are typically more expensive to work with, that's what you'd get in 76 (unless 2wd and 460). So that moves you to strictly looking at 77-79's. If you're looking 4x4, the 77.5-79 250's are far superior to the 73-77.5 trucks. From there, it's a matter of aesthetic preference with grill and headlight orientation, body color, and condition of the vehicle. All of them are stupid easy to work on and self-teach.

Being in this section I assume you're looking for a 73-79 truck. Front Discs and shoulder belts became standard across the board in 76...so that's where I'd start. FE's are typically more expensive to work with, that's what you'd get in 76 (unless 2wd and 460). So that moves you to strictly looking at 77-79's. If you're looking 4x4, the 77.5-79 250's are far superior to the 73-77.5 trucks. From there, it's a matter of aesthetic preference with grill and headlight orientation, body color, and condition of the vehicle. All of them are stupid easy to work on and self-teach.
Would it be advantageous of me to look for an 80s model instead ?

Fellro

Staff member
That comes down to what you want. If you want the look of the late 70's trucks, and that is the main focus, stick with them. Parts are readily available so that is not an issue. They are more sought after, so it can drive the initial investment up but that also is highly dependent on where you are located.

The 80's trucks have their pluses and minuses as well, so it again comes back to what exactly is drawing you to any particular generation.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Would it be advantageous of me to look for an 80s model instead ?

I wouldn't...with the 80's you start talking ttb front axles for 4x4's...86ish, you start seeing the move to efi, which is fine, but most think working on a carb is easier.

Realistically, to answer this question, you'll need to establish a couple things:
1) Budget
2) What you're capable of fixing yourself, because buying anything 20+ years old is going to require work.
3) What characteristics are important to you

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I'm terribly biased, but having said that, I would choose another '78 F150 or F250.

'78 was the first year for the Lariat package, and '78 was the last year(for 49 state compliance) with no catalytic converter, for the F150, making the emissions requirements comparably simpler.

The down side is the midship plastic fuel tank which is not available.

Ford Truck Articles