Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Ahhh... &&^%$$&*.....Help!

OK.. I've run into a new issue... I could use a few ideas.

1984 F250, 460, 4 speed.
tune up, all fluids changed, new water pump, new alt, rebuilt carb, new filters, new fuel lines, good gas (full tanks), fuel pump working great (electric).

Engine developed what sounded like a stuck lifter, added some sea foam to help unstick it. Was running fine, power ok just tapping.. noise stopped, no power.

I can barely hit 45mph floored.

Started to check compression.. on 2 cylinders (1 from each side), 0 compression, then got 60, then 0 again. I can hold my thumb over the guage connection and it will barely push against it. Now, it was getting dark and I was tired, so I will try again... but, some ideas as to my issue would be great.

1. possible I lost both head gaskets
2. spun the cam bearing?
3. timing chain issue?

engine runs, just running rough like its only running on 4 instead of 8.
hard to start and get running without starting fluid. Plugs are new, no fouling, wires are good, great spark at coil and all wires.

Thanks in advance
Mike

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I'm leaning toward timing chain jumped also... Hard to say, but I've had trucks with bad head gaskets and you often can't tell power/running wise...

Cam bearing spun? never heard of such a thing, but I'm young yet.

Your compression test points to incorrect valve timing imho. Though I did see an engine where all the lifters collapsed once and it did some weird things...

OK.. I will check the timing this weekend and see if its off. If needed, I can yank everything apart and check it out/replace if needed.

While I am in there and if it is the timing chain, any upgrades to do that would be worthwhile?

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
when you do the timing chain, likely you'll have to pull the valve covers off and pull all the push rods to make sure none were bent if its the timing chain that jumped.

if it is the timing chain go ahead and do a aftermarket cam, timing chain, rocker arms if money allows it. will get ya alot of performance help.

primetime

sawmill slave
Install a timing chain for a 68-71. After that the cam timing was retarded for emissions until fuel injection arrived.

Ford Truck Articles