Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Power Stroke Vs. Triton V10

Hi I currently did a research paper in english proving that the Power Stroke is better then the V10. The second part of the project is that I have to get the the opinion of others, so please tell me what engine that you prefer. thanks.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Neither...drop in a 460. HAHA. Seriously, I'd say Powerstroke is waaaaaaaaay more versatile, regardless of how much it pains me to say that.

Better is a pretty subjective term.....what's the criteria for this comparison?

BTW....welcome!

Last edited:
Another thing is...2v or 3v V10? And which Power Stroke? '94 - '97 7.3, 99-'03 7.3? 6.0, 6.4, 6.7? All of them?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I really cant think of a single reason that the v-10 is better than the diesel.

You know...this was a pretty eye opening question for me, because I've been anti-diesel for as long as I can remember. And I really wanna bash on the 7.3, but I can't think of many good reasons at all why I don't like them. The only petty answers I can think of are:

-up front costs...oil burners cost more off the lot compared to an equally outfitted gasser as well as private party sales
-never really like the way diesels sounded
-not a fan of the black smoke (I know can be minimalized)
-higher fuel costs
-maintenance seems to cost a little more

And really, that's all I can think of. And those really are pretty stupid reasons not to like something. Doesn't mean I'll go out and buy one, but I'll definitely appreciate their versatility and untapped potential a little more

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
You know...this was a pretty eye opening question for me, because I've been anti-diesel for as long as I can remember. And I really wanna bash on the 7.3, but I can't think of many good reasons at all why I don't like them. The only petty answers I can think of are:

-up front costs...oil burners cost more off the lot compared to an equally outfitted gasser as well as private party sales
-never really like the way diesels sounded
-not a fan of the black smoke (I know can be minimalized)
-higher fuel costs
-maintenance seems to cost a little more

And really, that's all I can think of. And those really are pretty stupid reasons not to like something. Doesn't mean I'll go out and buy one, but I'll definitely appreciate their versatility and untapped potential a little more

7.3l vs the 5.4 its a big difference, but the v10 is spendy too...
the v10 eats gas, 10 spark plugs and wires? NOT cheap.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
7.3l vs the 5.4 its a big difference, but the v10 is spendy too...
the v10 eats gas, 10 spark plugs and wires? NOT cheap.

I was thinking pre- stupid duties when my dad ordered Thunder...7.3 vs 460. IIRC if Dad checked the diesel box, the price went up right around 5k and fuel prices were within a nickel or so of each other.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I'd say Powerstroke
Not a oil burner fan but between the 2 I have to choose the I'd say Powerstroke.
Better MPG, more power lasts longer.
I would take a 460 over either.
I hate the smell of diesel fuel and the exhaust smell. Being in a cold climate you have to let them warm up before running is a major draw back.

The only advantage I can think of is cheaper initial purchase, higher factory gear ratios, and when you grenade the thing that modular will be cheaper to rebuild. I'd still take the powerstroke diesel. A good person to give you the pros and cons would be Vinve (Blacksnapon).

I have owned both a V10 and PSD. My '99 V10 was VERY nice for power and capability even before I started modding it. For the cost of the PSD over the life of a 5 year car loan the V10 would use the same in gas. The PSD has more power but at a higher initial cost and increased maintenance throughout the same 5 year time frame. In the end it's personal choice that matters. Some will get a V10 and be happy others want that cackle only a PSD can give you.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
i would 100% take the powerstroke. and even now diesel is right round 20 cents higher per gallon but look at your mpgs and also look at the power difference. id pay 20 cents more a gallon less often than a gasser and get more power any day of the week.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I took the 7.3 Power stroke and the 6.0 and compared it to the 2-vavle v-10 then the 3 vavle v10 and compared it to the 6.0 and the 6.4. thanks for the response.

How did you compare it though? O-60 times? Dyno numbers? Towing challenges? Fuel Consumption? Durability? Run each engine without fluids and see which one seizes first? All of the above and assign a point total to each test?

That being said, I think we can all agree the 460 reigns supreme and everything else is just fighting for second place.:prod:smiliestirthepot

How did you compare it though? O-60 times? Dyno numbers? Towing challenges? Fuel Consumption? Durability? Run each engine without fluids and see which one seizes first? All of the above and assign a point total to each test?

I just compared horsepower and torque.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I just compared horsepower and torque.

How in the hell can you justify your assessment based simply on numbers you could get from watching a commerical? Hell, a top fuel car has 10x's more hp and tq than all my rigs combined, but that doesn't mean the car would be a good tow rig or would be a good quality long term rig. As Steve said earlier...pretty subjective and we need to know what you're looking for.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts