Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > Engines > 4.6L/5.4L/V10 Modulars

Old 08-01-2017, 12:38 PM
Arrogant A-hole At-Large

LEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond reputeLEB Ben has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky83 View Post
biggest reason people still want the 7.3 was because they were extremely reliable. you could pretty much do anything to them and would still keep going. ntm the further back you go the less computer is involved in its running.

or were you meaning the gas vs diesel and not the "i dont want anything newer" craze? lol
Gas vs Diesel. I understand simplicity. And my longevity/mileage comment was eluding to the reliability of both. So you get 300k out of a 460 or 400k out of a 7.3. I'd bet less than 5% of people have put 3 or 400k on an individual vehicle, much less one of those specific engines. So to me, the 'reliability' aspect of things is a draw between those two engines anyway.

'77 250 400 Boggers (show)__'96 350 CC 460 SSR's (work)__'79 Bronco 400 35's (play)

Quote:
Inspired by Ian
We live in a society that keeps finding answers to problems people never knew they had.
I bow my head to Jesus, stand for my family, love only one woman, and am always proud of what I have.

Standing by my gun and Bible since 1986.

Ben
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2017, 11:22 PM
Virginia Chapter member

Sparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond repute
couldnt say... my old 350 turned the odometer over on the old suburban... only reason it got parked was because it could not pass the "safety" (coughtaxcough) inspections here..

"I don't think the intelligence reports are all that hot. Some days I get more out of the New York Times. "
-John F. Kennedy

"I never FAIL... I succeed at finding what doesn't work."
-Christopher Titus
Old 08-02-2017, 06:14 AM
owned by Fords

dustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond repute
I have a 89 f-350 4x4 with a 4.9 5 spd. It has over 500,000 miles on the original engine, with only minor repairs to the engine.
ANY engine will go the length if properly taken care of.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:58 AM
Virginia Chapter member

Sparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond reputeSparky83 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustybumpers View Post
I have a 89 f-350 4x4 with a 4.9 5 spd. It has over 500,000 miles on the original engine, with only minor repairs to the engine. ANY engine will go the length if properly taken care of.

"I don't think the intelligence reports are all that hot. Some days I get more out of the New York Times. "
-John F. Kennedy

-Christopher Titus
Old 08-02-2017, 03:22 PM
just growing older not up

polarbear has a reputation beyond reputepolarbear has a reputation beyond reputepolarbear has a reputation beyond reputepolarbear has a reputation beyond reputepolarbear has a reputation beyond reputepolarbear has a reputation beyond reputepolarbear has a reputation beyond reputepolarbear has a reputation beyond reputepolarbear has a reputation beyond reputepolarbear has a reputation beyond reputepolarbear has a reputation beyond repute
Gas vs. Diesel... brings back memories on how many times this subject has been gone over. The real (and only) issue in comparing gas to diesel is power in the newer versions vs. cost differential- which is significant. Where I live, towing East or West involves mountains... and any NA gas motor will leave you feeling like you left 1/4 to 1/3 of the HP herd in the valley. Turbos, by nature, are not as affected by altitude changes (which explains their first usage in airplanes). For this, though, you pay many thousands of $$$$'s in a price premium, plus more expensive maintenance costs. As an offset, though, most of that money comes back come trade-in time.

Another draw to the diesel is it's ability to be modded to "beyond stoopid" HP and Torque. Often forgotten, these mods can open up some very expensive cans of worms. Take the Ford 6.0 as an example. Some 6.0's were quite reliable (note the wordage though). But while tuners existed for this motor, they virtually guaranteed a series of very expensive trips to a mechanic. It's safe to say the 6.0, in it's stock form, was at the limit of it's reliable HP and torque ratings bone stock. The Dodge Cummins is a motor with 1000HP waiting to happen. Keeping in mind the automatic transmission in earlier versions was as durable as a potato chip, without the additional twisting. This is also true for the Ford 7.3- a bombproof motor with an Automatic saddled behind it that frequently liked to grenade long before the motor reached it's life expectancy.

Sooo... it all comes down to your priorities and the size of your budget.

**A note about diesel durability. The Ram Cummins goes 300K-500K miles between overhauls not because it's a diesel, but because Cummins designed the motor as such. Ditto all commercial-use diesels. Given proper care and maintenance (and a little luck), there's no reason a gas motor couldn't go the same distance. My first F150 5.0 had 310K miles on it, and still didn't use a quart of oil between changes. The second had 275K on it, and had zero motor issues when we sold it.

Last edited by polarbear; 08-02-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:00 PM
Virginia Chapter member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbear View Post
Take the Ford 6.0 as an example. Some 6.0's were quite reliable (note the wordage though). But while tuners existed for this motor, they virtually guaranteed a series of very expensive trips to a mechanic. It's safe to say the 6.0, in it's stock form, was at the limit of it's reliable HP and torque ratings bone stock. The Dodge Cummins is a motor with 1000HP waiting to happen. Keeping in mind the automatic transmission in earlier versions was as durable as a potato chip, without the additional twisting. This is also true for the Ford 7.3- a bombproof motor with an Automatic saddled behind it that frequently liked to grenade long before the motor reached it's life expectancy.
in some instances that wasnt true either.. part of the problem with the 6.0's resulted from Ford's tinkering AFTER getting it from Navstar.. Navstar built and designed the engine, along with making the original tuning.. then gave it to ford to install. Ford wasnt happy with the output numbers compared to GM/dodge #'s and turned the tuning up further. Navstar warned Ford not to do this as they had designed and tuned to work in the engines comfort safe levels. Because of this change it brought in other issues. While i do agree tuners exacerbated the problem by pushing it even further beyond the designed limits.

the other issue that caused many of the earlier models HG failures was due the poor casting of the heads. which resulted in "warped"/"bowed" heads being installed on the blocks. They used the TTY bolts to pull the heads flat causing the bolts to eventually succumb to fatigue. which in turn resulted in the gaskets failure.

sadly the 6.4 is pretty much a 6.0 v2.. same block.. same heads some issues corrected but many still remained.

-John F. Kennedy

-Christopher Titus
Old 08-02-2017, 05:21 PM
owned by Fords

dustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond repute
Like Polar bear stated, on my 92 IDI 7.3, I installed a turbo kit

You would not know it was the same truck!