Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Got Dad's 77 F150 Custom

I just got my Dad's 77 F150 with 351M engine, C6 Tranny. I am now in the process of restoring it and are starting with the engine, well actually brakes. I am looking forward to this project and am trying to get everything back to as original as possible. The PO (before dad) removed the AC for some crazy reason and the vacuum system is a mess.

Now in search of vacuum diagrams or at least the minimum connections necessary. I am not a mechanic or motorhead, but I am learning.

Jim

I just got my Dad's 77 F150 with 351M engine, C6 Tranny. I am now in the process of restoring it and are starting with the engine, well actually brakes. I am looking forward to this project and am trying to get everything back to as original as possible. The PO (before dad) removed the AC for some crazy reason and the vacuum system is a mess.

Now in search of vacuum diagrams or at least the minimum connections necessary. I am not a mechanic or motorhead, but I am learning.

Jim

Hello and good evening.

On a 1977 how many vacuum lines can there be? Out of curiosity at what speed does the C6 shift into "final drive?" I had an 87 F250 4 X 4 Dually with a C6 and 4:10's which shifted into 3rd at 25MPH. Of course it was a 7.5L Gas Guzzler.

You can also call Irv Bishko @ 800-544-3312 for a manual; cheap! Now they even come on CD. I bought an 87 Factory Reprint Manual Set that is 5+" thick! These are actual Factory Ford Manuals and a must for every Ford Owner and even though Haynes, Chilton et. al are alright they are not the same!

Boon

Postscript: Ford Fuel Injection was shut down for awhile and may still be but someone should have a link laying around on an old thread, post or reply which will have your vacuum line routing even though your truck is carbed.

Hello and good evening.

On a 1977 how many vacuum lines can there be? Out of curiosity at what speed does the C6 shift into "final drive?" I had an 87 F250 4 X 4 Dually with a C6 and 4:10's which shifted into 3rd at 25MPH. Of course it was a 7.5L Gas Guzzler.

You can also call Irv Bishko @ 800-544-3312 for a manual; cheap! Now they even come on CD. I bought an 87 Factory Reprint Manual Set that is 5+" thick! These are actual Factory Ford Manuals and a must for every Ford Owner and even though Haynes, Chilton et. al are alright they are not the same!

Boon

Postscript: Ford Fuel Injection was shut down for awhile and may still be but someone should have a link laying around on an old thread, post or reply which will have your vacuum line routing even though your truck is carbed.

Thanks Boon and others for the Welcome. I will check to see when it shifts to 3rd but I know it is early. Seems like it shifts to second just after I start moving! I got the manual set on CD a couple weeks ago but the electrical and vacuum are not included. Last night "Mil1ion" took care of the vacuum routing for me.

I have always worked on vehicles and even rebuilt my 3.5L engine on my 2004 Nissan Quest but this project is going to be fun. Unfortunately, i have to let the funds catch up with my enthusiasm.

Jim

Several Options for your 1977.

Thanks Boon and others for the Welcome. I will check to see when it shifts to 3rd but I know it is early. Seems like it shifts to second just after I start moving! I got the manual set on CD a couple weeks ago but the electrical and vacuum are not included. Last night "Mil1ion" took care of the vacuum routing for me.

I have always worked on vehicles and even rebuilt my 3.5L engine on my 2004 Nissan Quest but this project is going to be fun. Unfortunately, i have to let the funds catch up with my enthusiasm.

Jim

Congratulations Jim and good for you! I will try and find that link to Ford Fuel Injection but it will take awhile unless they are back online. fordfuelinjection.com

Remember what many have said long before I came along; do what is FREE first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Poor fuel mileage costs you money, bad brakes and wheel bearings cost you money, a C6 costs you a LOT of money in fuel mileage and is also hard on the differential depending on the ratio.

Consider going to the Boneyard and investing in a Manual Transmission, grab a 5 speed off of a later model and just take the bell housing as well along with flywheel, clutch linkage, the whole package. They are easy to rebuild, are cheap at the BY and all one has to concern themselves with is replacing an occasional clutch disc and throw out bearing.

Wheel alignment; do it yourself with a friend and a tape measure, framing square, nylon seine(string). Run the string all the way around all four tires as high as the body/bumpers will allow and tie it tight. Toe-in is important and we cannot adjust caster, at least easily, and camber is a non-issue really with the twin I-Beams unless you drive on all SMOOTH roads/highways/freeways/interstates. Buy some large diameter white chalk(the kind the kids are now using) and draw thick lines perpendicular to the tire treads which will not only inform you of too much or too little tire pressure but also tell you early on regarding wheel alignment. Have the friend follow behind you when you are both finished with your hands off of the steering wheel and see how she tracks. Also hit the brakes hard and see if she pulls right or left. Now go off and have some free fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boon

Postscript: I will receive a ton of disagreement but this is alright but DO NOT waste ANY money on Mallory or MSD coils, distributors, ignition modules, anything as all they do is cost you a lot of money with little or no performance increase regardless of what others tell you. They are for show not go! Power does cost money but spend it on balancing, blueprinting, head work, cam, and bottom end. Do the carburation last unless she is a guzzler. If you have a four-barrel then play with the air/fuel screws. Break off the plastic "keepers" on the air/fuel screws and turn them IN just until she runs a bit rough and then back them off a 1/4 turn and perhaps another and I assure you when she is idling you will want to try and start it as it is so very smooth!

Moreover, what size engine does the Old Girl have? How about the third-member Ratio?

Last edited:
Welcome to the site.

Hello and good morning Ryan.

Thank you!

Boon

Postscript: Perhaps of interest to you. I went to the local Ford Dealership to look at the new Mustang Shelby GT 500 which is "supposed" to reach a terminal velocity of 220 MPH.

When I informed the salesperson that this is impossible because of aerodynamics among other reasons(solid rear axle)he was adamant that it would reach the "claimed" 220. I informed him that if he took me for a test drive and it hit 220 I would pay him the $70,000!

So a few salesmen got together to show me a video of the car on the Autobahn in Germany where, as you know, there are no speed limits per say.

Well, well the car only reached 191MPH! Of course I knew this all along being an avid Supercar Follower for decades but "you can lead a horse to water..." Ho hmm. One hundred and ninety-one is a far cry from 220 which is Ferrari, Porsche, McLaren, SSC Supercar, Saleen SL-7, Bugatti Veyron and a couple others territory Ford does not even compete or is even in the same league including the famous GT40! The numeric 40 came from Ford because the roof line is exactly 40" above the ground and no one else knew what else to name it!

However, in the 1970's one of the famous Rodriguez Brothers from Mexico took a Porsche 917 K30 to 445KPH on the famed Mulsanne Straight,(8.3 Miles long), at Lemans, France which equates to 276.345MPH! Now this is of course before the Chicane was installed but nonetheless still "hauling the mail!" As of last research this is the all time record which still stands and AA/TF's were not even reaching this terminal velocity in the speed traps at ANY 1/4 mile strip!

The Porsche 917 is why the previous version of Can-Am racing ended as they normally lapped the entire field including the Ford GT40!

If in doubt then by all means check it out.

Boon

Postscript: Just a tidbit as I noticed the new Mustang Website! I doubt that you would want to post this intel on there.

Even though I was born in Iowa I lived in the very best state for all racing; California for 50+ years and witnessed the first sub 5 second run (Lion's Drag Strip) in Long Beach and the first sub 6 second run for AA/FC at Pomona during a Winternationals practice (typical rainout) weekend which postponed the actual race so it was unofficial.

Being 60 years old does indeed have some wonderful benefits!

I WAS a member of another Ford Truck Forum but members do not want to hear about REAL power and speed! I could go on and on but when most read this they will complain as well even though ALL are "supposed" to be welcome! I did mention the GT40 though.

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
From what I have read, 202 was the top speed recorded in Italy for the GT500...so maybe they got dyslexic and got 220 out of that, but in any case, I agree...not 220.

Comparing those cars to even the GT40 is hardly an apples to apples comparison..just saying.

The recent GT was the first NA car to come factory production that would do over 200 mph.

Regarding the solid axle being a detriment to going over 200mph, can you explain?...the last time I checked, both funny cars and dragsters are equipped with such and axle and seem to go well over 200mph.

From what I have read, 202 was the top speed recorded in Italy for the GT500...so maybe they got dyslexic and got 220 out of that, but in any case, I agree...not 220.

Comparing those cars to even the GT40 is hardly an apples to apples comparison..just saying.

The recent GT was the first NA car to come factory production that would do over 200 mph.

Regarding the solid axle being a detriment to going over 200mph, can you explain?...the last time I checked, both funny cars and dragsters are equipped with such and axle and seem to go well over 200mph.

Hello and good morning.

I do not know what you mean by NA but the 1987 Porsche 959 was the first production car to hit 201 followed by the Ferrari 1987 F40.

Of course testing(prototypes)before release yielded these speeds long before 1987!

Boon

Postscript: I did explain in a reply this morning but it was obviously pulled by the Administrators. Freedom of the press? Freedom of speech? Good luck!

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
NA...North American...others don't concern me :D

Your postscript statement is a bit offensive....no thread or response was pulled, I suspect that an error occurred on your end.

Given where the founders of this site came from, I can assure you that replies, threads etc. are not just pulled.

To the OP, sorry for the thread derailment.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts