Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

skipping and slow to start at 1/8 of a tank

When I get to a low fuel level (just below the 1/4 mark) the motor has a few issues. It will sometimes take longer to start. I also experience some skipping and bucking at a low fuel level. I changed the fuel filters and still have the same issue. Full tank no problems. Would ya'll consider this a weak fuel pump?

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I wouldn't think the fuel pump would be the problem, as long as it has access to fuel, it should pump at the same rate regardless of tank level.

blacksnapon

Staff member
There is a forced limit power program in the 6.0. When the fuel level gets very low (generally its at empty on the gauge), it shuts off injectors to save them from fuel starvation damage. Possible fuel gauge inaccuracy. On the fuel pickup in the tank, theres a valve a couple of inches up that allows for fuel flow if the pickup screen is plugged. If the valve is missing from the pickup tube, it'll run out of fuel at low fuel levels (level under the valve) because it'll be sucking air.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Thanks for that info Vince...that makes a lot of sense!

I dropped the tank because I suspected a dirty tank. The tank was very clean and there was no valve on the fuel pickup tube. I checked the screen and tube for cracks or any other problems. It all looked good.

blacksnapon

Staff member
I dropped the tank because I suspected a dirty tank. The tank was very clean and there was no valve on the fuel pickup tube. I checked the screen and tube for cracks or any other problems. It all looked good.
Its just a circular thing on the tube itself about 3 inches up from the "bell".

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts