Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > General Maintenance, Performance, and Tech. Info > General Automotive

General Automotive Technical Catch-All

Old 10-24-2019, 03:00 AM

bradleyheathhays is on a distinguished road
Compressor running when not turned on?

I have an '02 Taurus with 85k miles on her that I just bought. Today when I was checking something under the hood I noticed this metal line cold and dripping
with water...

Sorry the pic is so huge. I tried to reduce it. If you get over to the middle of the picture and go down you'll see a pipe with a white box around it.

I had the air on but turned to the position of arrows pointing out of the dash and floor vents only. The defrost or a/c function was not selected. It seems
to be doing it consistently. I haven't traced all the parts of this car's a/c system yet but I don't know of anything else under a hood that turns cold and
sweats. Why would my compressor be working when it's not selected? What tests should I run?

Last edited by bradleyheathhays; 10-24-2019 at 03:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2019, 01:48 PM

bradleyheathhays is on a distinguished road
I've since been told Ford designed it to turn on in the mode I was running it and the only mode the compressor doesn't come on is the floor only. Who knew.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:29 PM

Blue-Truck-Nut97 has a spectacular aura aboutBlue-Truck-Nut97 has a spectacular aura aboutBlue-Truck-Nut97 has a spectacular aura about
Very courteous of you to update. Thanks.

Never A/C'd on a Taurus myself, but on the trucks it's common that the compressor runs any time air to the defrost vents is selected, including mix. The A/C pulls moisture from the air, and keeps the windows clear. Possibly the same rationale on your car.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
Old 11-01-2019, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

CowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond reputeCowboyBilly9Mile has a reputation beyond repute
By design, compressor engagement is possible in all positions other than vent, floor and off.

-Life is far too short to be serious all the time. So if you can't stop and laugh at yourself along the way, give me a call and I'll do it for you.

04 Ranger Fx4 Level II, 5R55E, Sonic Blue Pearl, loaded.

Useful Ford Vehicle Resources:

Owners Manuals >>> http://www.fleet.ford.com/partsandse...owner-manuals/
Build Information (click on "vehicle") >>> https://www.etis.ford.com/
Wiring schematics and TSB's (click on "technical information") >>> http://bbbind.com/
Repair guides, includes schematics w/connector pinouts >>> http://www.autozone.com/repairinfo/r...nfoLanding.jsp