Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Highboy fuel tank issues

I'm going to put a body from a 77 250 2x2 onto my 77 250 highboy. I noticed that the new cab doesn't have the mounting tabs, upper and lower, for my in cab fuel tank, that my highboy has. I want to have the in cab tank as it originally had. Any ideas??? No not interested in building a tank for between the rails in the rear!!

Fellro

Staff member
Best I can say is to salvage them from the old cab if you have one, then make a template in some card board to locate the hole to pass it through.

Looks like the tabs/brackets were an integral part of the body.. They look to be molded, and spot welded in. I haven't pulled it apart yet but am I wrong? If so has anyone found a good way of making it work. Maybe some pictures or procedures!!

Fellro

Staff member
You could probably fab your own. I am sure they are spot welded, but it has been a very long time since I looked at an in cab tank, but I guess I do have my old grain truck with an in cab tank, maybe I can look at that and give some ideas. You can cut the spot welds witha spot weld cutter and then just plug weld them into your cab. I'll have to get a look to see how feasible that all is.

Should anyone be curious.
Looks like the bottom tank bracket is bolted to the floor. The top is spotwelded to the back wall. I will cut the welds out, tack it to the new body and paint. By the way the studs on top are actually thru bolts. Carraige bolts that enter between the cab and bed and go thru the top flange.

Fellro

Staff member
The 71 has a channel that runs all the way across the top, then similar at the bottom. Wouldn't be too hard to fabricate such. Just weld nuts on the inside of it so you don't have to worry about getting a wrench in there.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts