Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

changing my distibuter

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
A rod attaches from the distributor to the oil pump...so yes

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Can happen...not common unless you are installing it or doing something with it.

I've swapped out distributors many times.

I have never had the rod fall into the oil pan. The rod should not come out with the distributor. When reinstalling, If the rod does not line up with the dist. when you put it back in, the trick is to "bump" the starter to get it to line up, and it will fall into place. Make sure the rotor will not spin around before you bump the starter, or you will mess up the timing.

Ok what's the chances of the shaft falling out of the distributor and into my oil pan

It happened to me earlier this year. If you knock it loose while putting a new distributor in, you will hear it drop, sounds like a tool dropping in the engine. (that's what I did). No oil pressure and over heating was also my realization that I knocked it loose. I tried to force it in, instead of rotating it till the hex shape of the oil pump drive shaft catches the distributor.

I have never had the rod fall into the oil pan. The rod should not come out with the distributor. When reinstalling, If the rod does not line up with the dist. when you put it back in, the trick is to "bump" the starter to get it to line up, and it will fall into place. Make sure the rotor will not spin around before you bump the starter, or you will mess up the timing.

I have used one of those hex screwdrivers, the ones that you switch the bits on, stick it down the hole and slightly turn the pump shaft and try again.

Ford Truck Articles