Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

What did you do to your Dent today v2

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Hate it when this time comes.....ugh...means:

1. I don't get to pull these out whenever I want to drive for the next 6 months.smiliecrybaby

2. Winter is coming.

3. Winter is coming! :headbang:

2019-10-19_15_17_24.jpg

2019-10-19_15_18_55.jpg

2019-10-19_15_17_24.jpg

Messed up on the pictures.....here is the final one as I close the doors that will soon have 3-4 ft of snow up against them if not more!

2019-10-19_15_20_24.jpg

I'm so jealous of your trucks. I want one badly but it's not in the cards at the moment. My dad is thinking of picking up and step side a d having me fix it up.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Shawn, you should see those dent sides he's putting away. Beautiful pieces of art.......

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Dunkin with a hangover

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

Jasperrc

Texas Chapter member
Did some work on the old yella truck today. When the temps drop below 60 or so she lopes when started cold. Goes away when the engine warms up but it's really annoying so I decided to try to figure out what's going on. Pulled the carb and double checked the choke setup and just cleaned up the outside.

Decided to check the EGR valve and discovered that the ports in the spacer were pretty much completely clogged up so I pulled it off and cleaned it up. Tested the EGR valve and it wouldn't hold vacuum so I replaced it.

So that brings me to a question. I tested the new EGR valve as well and it wouldn't hold any vacuum either. Did I get a bad one or do these operate differently from others out there? I tested the vacuum pump and know it works.

Blue-Truck-Nut97

crank polisher
Did some work on the old yella truck today. When the temps drop below 60 or so she lopes when started cold. Goes away when the engine warms up but it's really annoying so I decided to try to figure out what's going on. Pulled the carb and double checked the choke setup and just cleaned up the outside.

Decided to check the EGR valve and discovered that the ports in the spacer were pretty much completely clogged up so I pulled it off and cleaned it up. Tested the EGR valve and it wouldn't hold vacuum so I replaced it.

So that brings me to a question. I tested the new EGR valve as well and it wouldn't hold any vacuum either. Did I get a bad one or do these operate differently from others out there? I tested the vacuum pump and know it works.
Not sure which one you have, but I looked in my Motors Manual, it shows the test for what I assume is yours.

At approximately 3 in of Hg vacuum the valve should unseat, and at 10.5 in should be fully open. It doesn't specifically state that it shouldn't leak down, but is implied.

So, in short, it's a personal opinion that you have a bad diaphragm.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Agree with Jake on the bad egr
Thinking that isn't your problem though.

EGR comes on at part throttle, and goes off at full throttle.
The purpose is to thin the fuel mixture, buy allowing exhaust gas to enter into the intake.

My question, do you still have the stock air filter housing, and does it still have it's heat tube from exhaust to snorkel?
There is also a vacuum controlled door that opens and closes to make the air come through the tube, or through the snorkel.
Also, Down on the passenger side down pipe is a heat riser that closes like a damper on a wood stove.
These rusted in the open position.
If they rusted closed, THAT was another BIG issue

These were a big problem back in the day on warm up.

Last edited:

Jasperrc

Texas Chapter member
Thanks for the feedback y'all!

I'll have to find some time to take it back off and test/return it.

It does still have the stock air cleaner and heat tube setup.
The vacuum on the air cleaner is hooked up and works fine, closed on start and opens as the truck warms up.
Not sure about the other damper you are talking about although I did verify that the metal heat riser tube from the choke to the exhaust manifold is attached at both ends and is clear.

I will say that the idle/loping issue when cold is no longer occurring. The truck also runs stronger and is running cooler now than before as well. Also, the exhaust doesn't smell nearly as rich as it did before either. Not sure if that is just a result of the spacer plate passages being cleaned out or the new egr is doing more than the old one was.

Other thing I found when I took the spacer off was someone in the past crammed a piece of folded up metal down what I assume is the EGR gas port in the manifold. Really??! Yes, I took it out.

Attachments

• Intake2.jpg

Jasperrc

Texas Chapter member
So the EGR saga continues, lol. I pulled the new one off yesterday and retested it with my vacuum pump and it still wouldn't hold any vacuum so I took it back to swap it out but the one they had on the shelf did the same thing. So I did some digging and evidently there are two different types of EGR valves. Negative back pressure EGR valves will hold a vacuum no matter what. Positive back pressure EGR valves won't hold a vacuum without a certain amount of back pressure from the engine. Evidently this is what I have. I got it put back on and when I rev the engine I can see the diaphragm move. I assume it's working right. The engine sees to be running fine.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Early emissions are a bear to figure out. I have some early ford manuals in my shop, I'll try to take a peek this week and see if I can find something.
Do you have a build date (month, year) on the truck?
If not, pm me the serial #, I'll get it out of there, and let you know

Jasperrc

Texas Chapter member
Awesome, thanks!

It was built in April of '77 at the San Jose plant. The DSO was 71 (Los Angeles). From the VIN it is a 77 1/2. I suspect it had California emissions to the extent they had them then.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Cool. I'll look in my manuals tomorrow, and see what we have

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
If it was a DSO of 71, sold in California, then it would have a whole different set of emissions requirements, compared to 49 state emissions.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Yup, and the vacuum lines will be plentiful.
[emoji24]

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts