Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

351M questions

Hello all, gonna pick yer brains a bit if I can. I have a 79 F150 I am restoring,(pics to come later) and It has the original, unmolested 351m in it. Right now, it's a boat anchor and I was wanting some input from more experienced folks on how to wake that puppy up WITHOUT dumping thousands of dollars into it. It has a miserable 2 barrel on it and I know can get a 4 barrel intake and carb for it but, what else can I do? Read a tech article and it said the 400 and the 351 are identical except for crank and pistons. Can I put a crank and pistons from a 400 in my 351? Help me out folks. Thanks.

hobie79

79' F250 4+4
351m

I read that the 351m has taller heads than the 400. Making the push rods longer. I have the same engine. 79 also. Will be interested in what you hear. I have Edelbrock intake and 4brl. Was told to go with electric fan. I'd wondered why not use 400 heads and cam it? This its my first project. 79' f250 custom/hd option.

80-img_0062_2__e50e81e5872593e42dc8c906f51d9d64eec7d686.jpg

Fellro

Staff member
That is common, same for a 360 and 390. You technically can also make a 428 out of a 390, but it is a bit more involved... But yes, the base block and heads are the same.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
They will respond like any other engine...straight up timing gears, cam, headers, intake and carb will get you some respectable numbers. The heads are the the one thing that holds that engine back, but you can always go to some 351 closed chamber heads.
Here is a link to a builder with great knowledge of these engines:

http://www.tmeyerinc.com/category-s/1889.htm

They will respond like any other engine...straight up timing gears, cam, headers, intake and carb will get you some respectable numbers. The heads are the the one thing that holds that engine back, but you can always go to some 351 closed chamber heads.
Here is a link to a builder with great knowledge of these engines:

http://www.tmeyerinc.com/category-s/1889.htm

Thanks. I actually checked that site out on a suggestion from another member. He is in Minnesota, which is good because I live in North Dakota. :)

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Thanks. I actually checked that site out on a suggestion from another member. He is in Minnesota, which is good because I live in North Dakota. :)

I've dealt with him on my 434 build....he is very helpful and has great prices and lots of available parts.

Ford Truck Articles