Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Hello Gen 11.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Man that's quite a deal. The truck is decently clean and you can probably get a junkyard motor for a couple grand.

Ryan

Turns out junkyard motors are a little more expensive than I thought. I found a reman long block for 3k. I'll have to see what I can find and decide on either rebuilding this one, junkyark, or remaned.

Plans for it are either get it running and drive it while my 98 gets some much needed attention then sell it if it has enough profit left. Or sell the 98 if I like the 04 better. We'll see.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
It's those dang aluminum blocks, they cost a fortune compared to a surplus of old steel blocks. Keep that in mind when they give you your core charge.

Ryan

Anyone happen to know how you can tell if a truck has the PATS system? Aka SecuriLock passive anti - theft system.

Sorry, got ahead of my self.
Truck was delivered Monday. No sooner got it into the garage then I had to go to work. Some of the snow has melted off and im getting a better look at what i bought. I'm going to put all the stuff that the junkyard took off trying to get it started and never put back. I want to see if I can find out what the problem is before just taking their word for it that the motor is bad. Wouldn't it be something if they were trying to start it with an uncoded key.

Research on the PATS I found out that it's standard on these trucks. After plugging in all electrical connectors and charging the battery it's got a red light on top of dash that's flashing. Turned key on and heard fuel pump. So the key is good.

woah. What the truck doing. Does it have no compression?? the 5.4 in your truck is A steel Block Only 5.4 aluminum blocks Are in Ford GT super cars. And GT500 only.

5.4 don't die unless theres rod hanging out the side of it.

The PATS is in the Gauge cluster. You need to get a Snap on scanner And see if the PATS is active or has code As it cant see the Key code reader.

There are guys out there that can reprogram the truck and the keys. If the chip in the key has gone bad. But that almost never happens.

And the engine should still turn over even if the PATS is stopping it from starting.

After talking to the guy at the salvage yard I found out that the truck came in to them with the right valve cover off and was missing both rockers on cylinder so 3 and 4. Then they removed coils, plugs. PO was into it before it came into them. Going to go and buy a scanner today.

Got the other valve cover off. Got to the front of the timing chain cover and am kinda stuck with the main pulley. Will not move. Got the puller on it with tension. Cannot get it any tighter. I think I'm done for the night.

Ford Truck Articles