Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

headlight auto off feature?

rambler

New Shoes......
OK, so my 2000 F250, has always had a issue where the "dinging" of key in ignition or lights on always works with driver door is opened. whether key in ignition or not, no big deal. BUT 3 times now during a day, and rain, the wife runs the headlights.. and forgets to turn them off, she is so use to the "dinging" ( it stops when door is closed) so just assumes its the "normal" ding, not headlights on.. so drained the battery. would like to put some auto off lights when ignition is off option if possible. any ideas ?

not sure how to fix the standard dinging.. but tired of having to go up and jumpstart the truck.. its always my fault when she leaves the lights on..

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
OK, so my 2000 F250, has always had a issue where the "dinging" of key in ignition or lights on always works with driver door is opened. whether key in ignition or not, no big deal. BUT 3 times now during a day, and rain, the wife runs the headlights.. and forgets to turn them off, she is so use to the "dinging" ( it stops when door is closed) so just assumes its the "normal" ding, not headlights on.. so drained the battery. would like to put some auto off lights when ignition is off option if possible. any ideas ?

not sure how to fix the standard dinging.. but tired of having to go up and jumpstart the truck.. its always my fault when she leaves the lights on..

you would have to rewire the switch panel to a key on only line.. unfortunately that would take it off the fuse which is wired to be always hot...

could also try splicing in a cutout relay that when to a key on only circuit..

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
There was an automatic on option for that truck. you will need the light sensor, and the headlight switch to convert it over

Ford Truck Articles