Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Having trouble starting after warm up

Aloha from Hawaii,

new here and I wanted to say aloha and what a nice place this is here.

I just bought a 85 F-150 that has a little problem starting after warming up. The Truck Cold starts fine but after running a while it wont start until its cooled down. When I try to start it, it sounds like the battery is dead and the truck is having a hard time turning over. I have also noticed that the main ground gets hot even after I replaced it and the wire running from the relay down to the starter.

I have checked most wires and replaced a few, also the relay looks brand new. I have searched around and have thought that the starter was going. just wanted a little input.

With much Aloha and Many Mahalo's,

blacksnapon

Staff member
Starter is a possibility, as is a timing issue. Check the timing, then monitor the starter amp draw.

Fellro

Staff member
My 88 does that too, wouldn't be at all surprised to find my starter is dying as well... poor truck has had a hard life. Hasn't actually gotten any easier for it.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
you know what i just realized this...

the 88 we used to have did this. ended up being the starter solenoid. it was like over heating and going crazy clicking and either not engaging the starter or engaging and not stopping electric to it for it to disengage.

Fellro

Staff member
Mine just turns slower when it is hot... no other symptoms. I got my battery cable ends changed so that helped, I was losing connection completely before that.

Check all your cable connections (both ends)

This is common occurance in Ford trucks

They call it the Hot Start Syndrome

Chances are the starter drive circuit is heatsoaked and due to metal expansion, the contacts will not connect properly.

Check all your cable connections (both ends)

This is common occurance in Ford trucks

They call it the Hot Start Syndrome

Chances are the starter drive circuit is heatsoaked and due to metal expansion, the contacts will not connect properly.

So, I check the connections, they looked good but I gave them a good clean anyway.

still does the same thing, but sounded a little stronger when I cold started it. Seems like every little thing I have done has given a little more juice when I cold start it but still lags and sounds like its pulling a bunch of juice when I try to start after its warmed up. I can't find my meter so noway of telling until I find it.

I saw that this was pretty common with the 302's with mixed results but I really haven't seen anything with the 351's.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
So, I check the connections, they looked good but I gave them a good clean anyway.

still does the same thing, but sounded a little stronger when I cold started it. Seems like every little thing I have done has given a little more juice when I cold start it but still lags and sounds like its pulling a bunch of juice when I try to start after its warmed up. I can't find my meter so noway of telling until I find it.

I saw that this was pretty common with the 302's with mixed results but I really haven't seen anything with the 351's.

our 88 had a 351W. and it did almost the same thing as your describing. i put a new starter and a new starter solenoid on it and it took care of the problem.

Fellro

Staff member
Mine is a 351 W doing as described...

400's,429's 460's all have the same problem

Usually it's a timing problem. a few degress off

You could always try a battery with more Umpfh to it

Battery cables can corrode underneath the protective cover,usually this happens to the positive cable

400's,429's 460's all have the same problem

Usually it's a timing problem. a few degress off

You could always try a battery with more Umpfh to it

Battery cables can corrode underneath the protective cover,usually this happens to the positive cable

I would think that the truck would have more trouble starting from a cold start if the timing was off. I know that timing was a lot to do with everything but why would it sound like the battery is dead when I try to start it. I think the heat soak sounds like it but please I'm here for the help and I need it badly.

I did try a diffrent battery from my explorer (Its bigger), still the same problem.

Other then by sound is there anyother way to check the timing without out the timing light?

My 302 in my 64 Falcon/Ranchero (When I had it) had kinda of the same problem, it wasn't the timing but the starter.

Last edited:

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
When the timing is off it has more trouble when warm if it is a few degrees off. Timing being off does make that weak battery sound when starting. The best way to check is with a timing light, but you can mark your dist. and trying rotating it a little in each direction and see if it gets any better.

When the timing is off it has more trouble when warm if it is a few degrees off. Timing being off does make that weak battery sound when starting. The best way to check is with a timing light, but you can mark your dist. and trying rotating it a little in each direction and see if it gets any better.

Ok, I'll double check the timing. Now is it going to be better to do this when the truck is warming up or already warm? I have noticed that the truck runs a little rough when warming up but purrs pretty nice after a few minutes running.

If it is the timing how come when I try to start it after warming up the truck has a really hard time turning over. It wont even get that far, just the thud of the Solenoid and a pretty harsh turn if and when it turns. Thought that this would be the starter cause I can't even get the truck to turn.

Hot parts expand

Cold parts contract

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
It can be either one at this point. When truck is warm and you are having the issue move dist. to see if anything changes or gets better. If it doesn't then start looking at the starter for heat soak.

Fellro

Staff member
If the timing is too far advanced, it will make for harder starting warm than when cold.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts