Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Global Ranger

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
It's all relative, Ben. You're just realizing it at this stage.

I ordered my '68 F100 Ranger (top of the line) for $2808.00 out the door!

68F100.jpg

I definitely understand that Brad, but there comes a point where the price increase has to slow down because wages aren't increasing at the same rate. The automotive world already crashed once, in every other sector, that brings price back in to check, why is the automotive world any different? Be that the housing market, sugar market, you name it...if people can't afford it anymore, prices start going the other direction. Where is that threshold in the automotive world. Your guess is as good as mine, but I think it's rather blind to think it can't happen in the auto sector.

Last edited:

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
I just built a 2011 F150. I couldn't make it any cheaper than 23,000. All I did was click F150 XL, and paint it Oxford White.

A few things I noticed in the selections that it wouldn't let me get.

-No Bench Seat
-Center Console that I don't want/need
-No V6 option
-Full moldings all around the truck that I don't need.
-No Radio delete option
-No A/C delete option

I'm pretty sure just deleting that stuff right there would cut 2k off the MSRP.

you cant build a 2011 yet.. the 2011 will have the 3.7 V6 for a base model engine.

the Custom Trim is coming back and if im not mistaken can be ordered with everything you just listed off...

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Ben I agree 100%, but the auto makers don't care. It's like Barrett Jackson. None of us will ever be able to afford any of those cars. But there are still rich idiots who don't care, and they will continue to buy those vehicles. The poor class will still have to rely on used vehicles. The poor class will definitely be screwed over though, because it's rare for a vehicle to be 10 years old and have less than 90K on it. After 90K, most vehicles become as problematic as women.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
you cant build a 2011 yet.. the 2011 will have the 3.7 V6 for a base model engine.

the Custom Trim is coming back and if im not mistaken can be ordered with everything you just listed off...

Two thousand whatever the year was they were offering, I couldn't get what I wanted for less than 23,000. That was the point.

As far as Custom trim, the article that was posted stated XLT Custom package if i'm not mistaken. Could have been a typo, but I doubt it. There will never be another bare bones truck with nothing on it offered for as long as humans inhabit the earth. You're still gonna end up with an XL and a V6 for more money than it is worth.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^That's another good point...most people here crucify the guys on BJ, but there's a level of craftsmanship and labor involved there...but that's not ok?

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
It's all relative, Ben. You're just realizing it at this stage.

I ordered my '68 F100 Ranger (top of the line) for $2808.00 out the door!

68F100.jpg
So, what is $2808 in 2010 dollars?

nobodyspecial

Fire in the hole...
ND
well, that shows how inflation is perfectly inline with wage increases...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
well, that shows how inflation is perfectly inline with wage increases...

Well...just a quick search showed that in 96 the median income (more relevant because it throws out the really really high and low outliers) to be $35,500. A quick search for Q2 of 2010 shows the median income to be $38,700. That shows a little less than a 10% increase in what the every day joe is bringing home over the span of 15 years. Yet on the same token, a 2011 truck is 50% more expensive than a similarly outfitted truck from 15 years ago. And the kicker is, the truck from 96 is top of the line and the truck today is mildly optioned. A top of the line truck today is 300% more expensive than the top of the line truck of yesteryear. So sure, talk about inflation and technology, but the change in income doesn't appear like it can support all those fancy doodads.

Edit...Oh and Brad, the median income in 68 was $8630. So incomes only increased by roughly 4.5x's...but trucks have increased by nearly 26x's for the top of the line KR 450.

So as we all can see, cost of vehicles are growing exponentially faster than income levels and I don't see how that can last much longer. Inflation rate and conversion factors are terrible indicators of buying power from certain periods IMO. If you wanna know what kinda obligation a purchase was, look at the debt to income ratio. In Brad's example, he coulda paid for 3 of those trucks, in Thunder's example...it coulda been bought 1.5 times, an example from today...you'd be in the hole 4 grand.

Last edited:

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
How long did the average vehicle last back then?

Standards of living have increased as well. We had a technological explosion that increased everyone's standards of living exponentially.

I think you're over analyzing this, Ben. It's a market. People buy cars. The buyers are the only ones who have any say in the fair market price. You are not considered a buyer, simply because you don't go looking at new vehicles. People are still buying them, and lately people have been flocking to Ford.

Ryan

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
How long did the average vehicle last back then?

Umm I dunno...seems there's still a good bit of them on the road. So 30-40 years.

Standards of living have increased as well. We had a technological explosion that increased everyone's standards of living exponentially.

I understand the technology explosion...but since the 80's has technology not exponentially decreased? Shoot, you used to pat $400 for a calculator, you used to pay thousands for a computer and you used to pay thousands for a cell phone, now none of that is the case...so I don't see how the addition of technology can justify an increase in price.

I think you're over analyzing this, Ben. It's a market. People buy cars. The buyers are the only ones who have any say in the fair market price. You are not considered a buyer, simply because you don't go looking at new vehicles. People are still buying them, and lately people have been flocking to Ford.

Ryan

I've admitted that I'm obviously not a buyer, and I'm not saying vehicle prices shouldn't increase, but my question is, where's the breaking point. Shoot, 2-3 years ago, when fuel prices hiked, you couldn't sell a full size truck. DOn't get me wrong, I'm happy for Ford...and this is the beauty of capitalism, but geez, are prices just going to continue to sky rocket????? It's one thing to look at the inflation rate of trucks from years past, but if you use that as an indicator, you also have to look at income and buying power from the same time period.

So more power to FOrd for what they're doing and to the people that can afford it, but I'm wondering where the breaking point is.

Ford Truck Articles