Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

I got another Ranger!

FTF'er

Ok, so I had a '97 Ranger that I swapped a 302 in, but had to sell it.

I just brought home a '93 Ranger to play with. I kinda like this one more because it's an extended cab and it has power windows, locks, tilt, cruise, etc that my last Ranger didn't have.

I bought it "not running" because there is no battery in it, but the guy said that it has problems... it ran hot and may need a head gasket. It has nearly new GoodYear Wranglers on it. The bed, tailgate, driver door, and driver side cab area have some body damage that will need dealt with.

Now, what to do...?

I could try to fix the 4.0 that's in it and have very little invested in a decent daily driver (and hope that the A/C still works as an added bonus!).

Or, I thought it would be cool to swap in the 460 from the junker F250 I recently bought. This would be a ton of work, but it sure would be fun to drive!!!

Or I may just do the same boring thing that been done a billion times and go with another 302.

I'll have to take the heads off the 4.0 and go from there.

And of course there is a pic...

IMAG0136.jpg

Ranger.png

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Nice looking truck.

I could try to fix the 4.0 that's in it and have very little invested in a decent daily driver (and hope that the A/C still works as an added bonus!).

I'll have to take the heads off the 4.0 and go from there.

If you're wanting to get it driving pretty quick and the current engine has serious issues, junkyard pushrod 4.0s should be pretty easy and cheap to come by- they put a lot of 'em in Rangers and Explorers through the '90s...

FTF'er
If you're wanting to get it driving pretty quick and the current engine has serious issues, junkyard pushrod 4.0s should be pretty easy and cheap to come by- they put a lot of 'em in Rangers and Explorers through the '90s...
I finally had a few minutes to put a battery in this thing... and I think it has some issues. I had the radiator cap off when I was cranking the engine, and with each stroke of 1 of the cylinders a huge amount of water would gush out of the radiator... so there is a fairly non-restricted direct route from the combustion chamber to the cooling system. I'm going to pull the heads and see what's going on, and go from there.

The 460 would be lots of fun, but also a lot of work.

A 302 would be cheap and fun, but that trick is getting played out.

I can get a complete running 3.8 supercharged motor and AOD with the computer, wiring harness, intercooler, and all of the intercooler tubes for around $300 to $400. The 3.8 SC motors can be made pretty strong with a few bolt-ons.

Decisions, decisions...

I noticed the 4.0 in this truck has a shock absorber from the engine to the frame, which kinda looks odd. It also has a rear sway bar which I haven't seen on many Rangers before, although I haven't paid much attention in the past.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I noticed the 4.0 in this truck has a shock absorber from the engine to the frame, which kinda looks odd. It also has a rear sway bar which I haven't seen on many Rangers before, although I haven't paid much attention in the past.

I've heard about that shock absorber before...it's for vibrations, if memory serves. Doubt you'd notice anything if you took it off- probably been too worn out to function since about 1998.

My '97 has a rear sway bar. Never paid attention to any other trucks, though. Heck- I don't even know if my '09 has one.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I can get a complete running 3.8 supercharged motor and AOD with the computer, wiring harness, intercooler, and all of the intercooler tubes for around $300 to $400. The 3.8 SC motors can be made pretty strong with a few bolt-ons.

Decisions, decisions...

Blown 4.0...turbo 2.3...maybe try a mod motor (Mustang 4.6?) if you like playing with the newer stuff.

Possibilities aren't endless, I don't suppose, but there's a lot out there.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
I've always been an original kinda guy,it doesn't look like it's in that bad of a condition,so I would just throw in another 4.0 and make it a nice dd.But,that's just me.It's not really anything special,since it's 4x2.

FTF'er
hell be different and go with the supercharged 3.8.
That's what I was thinking. It's cheap and fast, and I can get everything I need from my brother. There may some big problems in the steering box-to-accessory clearance department. The accessories on the 3.8 are WIDE!

I've always been an original kinda guy,it doesn't look like it's in that bad of a condition,so I would just throw in another 4.0 and make it a nice dd.But,that's just me.It's not really anything special,since it's 4x2.
I feel that way about most vehicles I own, keeping them close to stock and original, but I buy things like this Ranger to do silly stuff with. The cool thing, as you mentioned, is that it's NOT anything special... just another Ranger. My other Ranger that had the 302 was an awesome sleeper, and really surprised a lot of people when it fired up.

Ford Truck Articles