Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > F-Series > Generation 7

Generation 7 1980-1986 F150, F250, F350

Old 10-15-2016, 03:43 AM

Paparobert13 is on a distinguished road
1984 control module problems

I need help. My "baby" is 1984 F150, 300 - 6 It has run beautifully for quite awhile. Started destroying ignition control modules. I have went throug 4 so far. I have replaced the distributor, cap and button, also replaced coil, fuel pump, and filter. The last control module , I went with the more expensive BWD at triple the cost. Worked great for two weeks. It now is seeming defective and engine quits. If I unplug the connector and reconnect, it will start again and run for a little while. What do I do next? Replace ECM? If possible wiring problems, (nothing has ever been done with this, stock) what do I look for etc? Can. Anyone help?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2016, 05:55 PM
Ford Parts Guru

BKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paparobert13 View Post
I need help. My "baby" is 1984 F150, 300 - 6 It has run beautifully for quite awhile. Started destroying ignition control modules. I have went throug 4 so far. I have replaced the distributor, cap and button, also replaced coil, fuel pump, and filter. The last control module , I went with the more expensive BWD at triple the cost. Worked great for two weeks. It now is seeming defective and engine quits. If I unplug the connector and reconnect, it will start again and run for a little while. What do I do next? Replace ECM? If possible wiring problems, (nothing has ever been done with this, stock) what do I look for etc? Can. Anyone help?
E43Z-12A297-A .. TFI Ignition Module-Located on Distributor (Motorcraft DY-425) / Marked: E3EF-12A297-A1A or A2A / Available from Ford & auto parts stores.

This module has been a notorious POS since day one! About 15 years ago, the US Gov't forced FoMoCo to recall over a million vehicles to replace the turds.

Today, the problem is even worse, with auto parts stores selling made in China crap!

2017 Fusion SE

Last edited by BKW; 10-15-2016 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:36 PM

Paparobert13 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the reply. I purchased another module today from another parts store. The last one is covered by warranty but had to order it. Going to take a few days. The one I purchased today says made in USA by BWD has me back on the road. I'll pick the other one up and I guess will have a spare. I cleaned a couple grounds and reconnected and also removed the ECM and cleaned pins. Nad reconnected. I pray this one will last?????? What else can I do ?
Old 10-16-2016, 08:15 PM
owned by Fords

dustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond repute
Make sure to coat the back of it with the dielectric grease that was supplied with it, or the new one will fail soon too
Old 10-18-2016, 05:34 AM

crazycanuck has a spectacular aura aboutcrazycanuck has a spectacular aura about
X2 on the grease!!