Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > F-Series > Generation 7

Generation 7 1980-1986 F150, F250, F350

Old 11-03-2016, 10:02 AM

Liberty Blacksmith is on a distinguished road
Roger that CBaker65, decided to go with a new cam, matched lifters. Got a Comp Cam, RV type-more torque lower RPM. Also Timing Chain was very loose, 1" play. Cam sprocket was Aluminum (!) with plastic (!!) teeth, so got new one from Comp as well.

Lots of chatter on "degreeing a cam" (bad English, sorry). Not going racing, have replaced cam before and timing chains; line up the marks and put it back together. Or am I missing something?

Engine is at TDC, lining up the marks on the cam, timing gear and crank gear should put me back to stock setting, won't it?

Broke the Harmonic Balancer and Spacer-Counter weight on the crank so will replace.
Thanks for all the tips.
FS
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2016, 04:32 PM

cbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond reputecbaker65 has a reputation beyond repute
With sloppy timing ,the timing will fluxuate ,a collapse lifter will act as
a flat lobe on a cam ,an cause sputter & popping back through the carb. ,

So a top-end rebuild may cure the problem ,but sense your into the topend ,you may as well go all the way!....

Im not a bum,Im on vacation!....
Old 11-15-2016, 09:51 AM

Liberty Blacksmith is on a distinguished road
November 14 UPDATE
Have it all back together with new cam, lifter, timing gear & chain, etc. Starts and runs for about 5-10 seconds then dies. Can tell by clear fuel filter, not getting enough gas to carb.
There is a vacuum line from the tank selector switch (a real Rube Goldberg set up). Will run it to a vacuum source on the manifold. If it doesn't work, will put a mechanical fuel pump on the front of the engine and a manual selector valve on the floor next to the driver seat.

Does anyone know last year of the 460 F250 to use a manual tank switch? I am not going to waste time figuring out this "6 port" nonsense. I'll go back to mechanical fuel pump and selector switch.

Thanks.

Tags
1986 f250, 460 engine backfire