Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1993 5.8 Bronco with bad idle!

Hey guys this is my first post on this site and I was wondering if you guys could help me out?

I got a 93 bronco eddie bauer with a 5.8efi engine. It has a rough/bad idle, and when it's idling it wants to stall. Also the voltage meter jumps up and down like crazy! I don't know if the engines getting to much gas or not enough air. There is also black residue that comes out the exhaust while its running.
One more thing I also noticed is the the fuel pump is constantly running and is kinda loud.

If anyone can help me out, that would be great! Thanks

Welcome! We will endeavor to get you the most accurate info we can muster.

First things, first... it will save you a ton of time, effort and money to run a KOEO and KOER test. Fault Codes generated by the onboard computer will help pinpoint where the real problems lie. If you need info on how to run both tests, Check HERE!

Always make sure the engine is at operating temperature (run it for about 10-15 minutes) BEFORE you run either test.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I agree, pulling the codes from the truck can help save you a lot of headache and potentially money. Instead of throwing parts at the truck, you can pinpoint the problem.

Typically if it's puffing black smoke, it's running rich. If it's running lean you'll get more a white smoke or none at all.

It could be anything from a bad fuel pressure regulator, bad fuel pump, or any number of things. Pull some codes and report back! Welcome to FTF!

:welcome:

Ryan

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts