Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

5.4 Tear-down

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Do you plan on doing any porting and polishing? Keeping the cats?

Yes the porting and polishing are being done when he does the heads and block. losing two of the cats and going to just use two high flow cats to a flo-pro muffler.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Here is a list of things being done to the truck...

• Honing, surfacing and heat tanking block
  • Surfacing, port and polishing heads
  • New Xtreme Energy Comp Cam, and valve springs
  • New Areomotive Billet Fuel Rails
  • Complete braided steel fuel lines
  • Rebuilt 4R70W with shift kit
  • Twin 16" Electric fan kit
  • Auxillary Trans cooler
  • K&N FIPK
  • Custom Programmed CPU
  • Underdrive Pully kit
  • TB spacer
  • Complete custom exhaust run through two High flow Cats, and a flo-pro muffler
That should keep me busy for a while.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Here are some new photos

http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=513

I got a little rambuncious and tore into the trans tonight.... I know something is wrong cause of the metal pieces on the magnet! I sure couldn't find anything though! may have to try and tear a little deeper in to it if I can.

Vince or Brian(I know you have built a few autos in your day)...
The gentleman at my local trans shop said something about the reverse being a common problem on these trans... Do know anything about this. I was backing up a hill in 4-low and heard a loud pop. Then I had no reverse and I didn't want to stay in gear going forward either! Just was wondering if there is somewhere I need to be looking imparticular??

Who me?

Yes I have been in a few automatic transmissions.

Steel in the pan is not good. I have no clue what transmission you have. I am a few years out of date on them.

Strictly going by the steel on the magnet and the loud pop, you broke something serious (what I could not tell you). I am way out of date on these things. Then the steel goes everywhere in the transmission. I would recommend a complete tear down and rebuild just based on that.

Even if the damage were a broken input shaft (which it is not), who knows where all the steel went in there.

It is not hard to rebuild one. It just takes patience, time, a little money. Organization and cleanliness are key.

I will let the real mechanics speak up, but I think its time to learn more about your transmission from the inside.

The only auto I'm familiar with in these is the C-6... and the front planetary would be a likely candidate. Ditto to what brian said; Total rebuild. No, I'm not a tech, and I DIDN'T stay in a Holiday Inn Express either....

Well, They say your ARE known by the company you keep.... :p

Leave it to you to make it clear,
that ain't a far stretch...

:rofl:

Ok, first of all... It's a TRUCK.... YOURS may be a boat, but that's YOUR issue, not mine...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts