Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2wd to 4x4 conversion people, I have questions for you who have done it!

So I got stuck on steep gravel towing a trailer AGAIN and began revisiting a 4x4 swap on my 77 f350 camper special. From research and parking 2 trucks side by side, I've figured out that there are actually a lot of similarities between the front of my frame and that of a 73- early 77 f250 4x4. Mainly, the highboy front spring crossmember literally bolts right up. I'm aware of most of the major hurdles of this project, but I'm torn as to what to do for steering. The idea I'm having now is leave the 2wd box in its place and running a drag link over to the far side, behind the axle, then having the tie rod in its factory location up front. That way I get crossover steering and don't have to screw around with push pull, dog leg steering arms, and hydro assist. Anybody have any input on this?
5e3ab2f0769f357cd1948438817878f7.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I think you should leave that beautiful 2WD alone and buy a 4X4, but I'm a purist. I also want to know about that tractor in the window. :D

Part of me is along that line of thinking, but the thing is, I'm pretty deep into making this truck my full time work truck. I'm trying to get to where I can sell my '08 6.4 and bank the extra cash to save and buy my uncles king ranch 6.7 in about a year. Also, there seem to be enough of these around up here that I don't feel too bad changing one. It wouldn't be a hack job or anything, I would make it the way Ford would have, with some minor improvements. And haha we have a small collection of Deere's. I'll grab a couple pictures in a bit

And I'm REALLY tired of getting stuck every time I leave asphalt. Which is quite frequent. I live in the Northwest haha its slick.

So you going 4wd or staying 2?
My dad converted an 87 dodge 2wd to 4wd a while back using a highboy 4wheel drive system and a 360 FE/c6 np205 combo. To ditch the highboy steering he used a steering box and all linkages from a 78/79 dodge 4wd. Worked like a charm. Just a thought as long as you don't mind a little crossbreeding.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts