Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Hello to all and help with my 400m in a 70 F250

I am a new-bee to this forum but a long time truck builder.

I have installed a 400m from a 78 Lincoln hooked to an AOD out of a 96 F350
and I have bought the stand alone electronic control any comments or caveats would be appreciated.

The main obstacle is the headers, as I do not want to build them from scratch.
I had bought a pair that were to fit this truck, but they are not even close.
I started cutting them up to rework to clear the steering and bottom cross member, but I thought I would make an effort to see if someone made a set or is there a trick to making some other set work.

Any comments appreciated

:thanks:

Welcome to the site.

first off No M after 400.

The M is part of the 351M engine designation.

If you heck the online header dealers you should be able to find a a set.

Blackjack are popluar

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Welcome to FTF! :wavey:

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
Welcome aboard. I'm not sure if you'll find a set of headers for that, since it wasn't a factory deal and isn't a popular swap. The closest you might be able to get would be a set for a 1980 F350 with a 351m or 400 and c-6. They may be closer to what will work. The cabs and frames didn't change much from 80-96 so that might get you close. I'm not sure of the difference size wise between the aod and the c-6 though. Sounds like an interesting project. Throw some pics up if you can.

I talked to the crew last night and we are thinking of buying a 390 set of headers and use my flange cut the 390 headers that we know fits this truck, and weld on the 400 flange.
I know the FE 390 seems like a big block, but the deck height on the 400 is 10.297 and 390 is 10.17 with a bore spacing of 4.63 and 4.90 respectively.

I do have pics and will post them soon

Cheers

:beer:

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Welcome aboard. I'm not sure if you'll find a set of headers for that, since it wasn't a factory deal and isn't a popular swap. The closest you might be able to get would be a set for a 1980 F350 with a 351m or 400 and c-6. They may be closer to what will work. The cabs and frames didn't change much from 80-96 so that might get you close. I'm not sure of the difference size wise between the aod and the c-6 though. Sounds like an interesting project. Throw some pics up if you can.
Why wouldn't 400 headers work on a truck of this vintage?

Since the 351M/400's were installed in 1977/79's, and the front suspension is basically identical 1965/79.

How much difference is there in the engine compartment between 1967/72's and 1973/79's?

Not much.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles