Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Regen Question...

What happens if you are a mile from your destination and the truck goes into active regen? Can you shut it down and resume when you leave do do you have to continue to drive until the regen is complete? Probably a dumb question but the manual really does not say explicitly and from what I read I would assume the latter of the two cases I listed.

blacksnapon

Staff member
If you shut it down, upon startup, it will resume where it left off.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Someone want to explain how the regen works? Where does it inject the DEF?
There are several sensors involved. Basic explanation......diesel motors produce soot. when the soot gets caught up in the diesel particulate filter in sufficient quantities, back pressure increases. There is a pressure sensor that "reads" this pressure increase. The PCM "sees" this increase and initiates the REGEN. The regen is where the injectors fire on the exhaust stroke, actually starting a fire inside your exhaust pipes. This fire burns the collected soot, decreasing the back pressure. The DEF is injected after the particulate filter (or the catalytic converter depending on if its pickup or cab and chassis). Temperature sensors measure the heat generated by the regen. 6.7s only use 4 cylinders for the regen, 6.4s, all 8. Because of the def, less egr and regen are required to meet emissions, also allowing it to be "tuned hotter" (more horsepower).

Yeah, I seem to remember reading that somewhere but I'll be damned if I can find it. Anyways Vince, thanks for answering my question. Have a Happy New Year!

Ford Truck Articles