Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

bought a used 08 F450 ---> warranty and gearing questions

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
That would be the case...
I have a 3/4 ton on 37"s and i can drive on dry pavement with it in 4wd...
its not pleasent but the truck wont just lock down...
You have some serious problems some where in your truck if thats happening.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I agree Don....and to take that one step further, the 750 has a slight mismatch in front and rear ratios...4.88 and 4.92...and I have driven it short distances on dry pavement with no issues.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
yep...11/22.5...slight mismatches are ok as long as you are not on dry pavement all the time...4.10 to 4.11...3.50 to 3.54 type thing.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Im curious why they did the mis matched gears... Is it a factory job?
Im sure there is an explanation, i know it wont make a big difference, just curiosity i guess.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
The rear end is a regular 4.88 ratio....the front is a planetary drive...the hubs have a fixed reduction of 3.461:1 so with that number in the equation it can only get so close. Before the conversions are performed, the technical dept has a discussion with you to make sure that you have a close or identical ratio amongst other things. The ring and pinion in that axle are a 1.42:1 ratio.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
NP...makes for some good reading!

Interesting. Last winter one of my guys called me up saying the 07 3500 wouldn't move. He was in 4x4 high plowing the mall and pulled underneath the loading dock to make a 3 point turn. It was dry since the dock is covered. Threw it in reverse and the truck locked up on him.

We couldn't get it out of 4x4. No force on Heaven or Earth could budge that lever and it was bound up so tight the truck wouldn't roll unless a lot of throttle was applied. Good way to break something, so he called me.

Got it loose by dropping the plow and jacking up the front end. With the front end in the air and the transmission in neutral we were able to get it out of 4x4.

Helluva deal.

My 90 F-250 is tough to get out, but a hard kick to the lever will force it back into 2 wheel.

The 82 F-150 doesn't care, well before I put Lockrights in the front and rear. Now it does need a slippery surface to get in and out.

On the 09 3500 I have the rotary knob 4x4. Sometimes the lights blink and it takes a second or two for it to shift out on pavement.

Bottom line is I don't let my guys use 4x4 on dry pavement anymore. Standing rule is to shift out of it on any hard surface.

Of course there's many different transfer cases. Gear driven, chain driven, electronic, manual, vacuum actuated. Different systems and combinations of systems will react differently.

Off a different thread I read up on what cetane means etc and gather the following:

Ford says that 45 is the minimum recommended CETANE level. The minimum specs at the pumps in the States is 38 to 40.

I live in CA where the minimum is 50 so I'm guessing the booster probably would not do much for me here in CA?

Any ideas on the booster question? If I don't need booster in CA then I really want to understand that.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Any ideas on the booster question? If I don't need booster in CA then I really want to understand that.
If you trust the rating, dont use it. One things for certain, it wont hurt to use it anyway.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Interesting. Last winter one of my guys called me up saying the 07 3500 wouldn't move. He was in 4x4 high plowing the mall and pulled underneath the loading dock to make a 3 point turn. It was dry since the dock is covered. Threw it in reverse and the truck locked up on him.

We couldn't get it out of 4x4. No force on Heaven or Earth could budge that lever and it was bound up so tight the truck wouldn't roll unless a lot of throttle was applied. Good way to break something, so he called me.

Got it loose by dropping the plow and jacking up the front end. With the front end in the air and the transmission in neutral we were able to get it out of 4x4.

Helluva deal.

My 90 F-250 is tough to get out, but a hard kick to the lever will force it back into 2 wheel.

The 82 F-150 doesn't care, well before I put Lockrights in the front and rear. Now it does need a slippery surface to get in and out.

On the 09 3500 I have the rotary knob 4x4. Sometimes the lights blink and it takes a second or two for it to shift out on pavement.

Bottom line is I don't let my guys use 4x4 on dry pavement anymore. Standing rule is to shift out of it on any hard surface.

Of course there's many different transfer cases. Gear driven, chain driven, electronic, manual, vacuum actuated. Different systems and combinations of systems will react differently.

I know my hubs can be tough to disengage and so can the transfer case, but just locking the whole truck down seems very strange...
Owners manual states not to use the 4wd on dry pavement...

6L PWR

Kansas Chapter member
How do you know if the fuel from 76 / Chevron / shell is high quality or not? When there is only one diesel pump, you don't have a whole lot of choice do you? Remember, I don't know nuttin' here. I need remedial help.

To ensure good or at least decent fuel, I pick the station where I see the most diesels filling up at. There's 8 stations in my town pumping diesel, but only one will I fill up at because I see LOTS of others using it including some commercial/fleet guys. That's where I go because I know it's the freshest.

Ford Truck Articles