Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > F-Series > Generation 6

Generation 6 1973-1979 F100, F150, F250, F350

Old 01-21-2018, 11:31 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
Question About Gas Tank Sending Units

I have a 1978 F-150 4WD, 133" WB with the original plastic, midship 26 gallon tank. I replaced the sending unit on the tank about 9 years ago, but the sending unit and/or the float appears to have gone bad.(No level indication on the gauge)

I want to order a replacement sending unit, but it seems there are two lengths to choose from - a 6" sending unit and a 10" sending unit. I could pull the old sending unit and measure, but I would rather order a replacement and replace the sending unit all at the same time.

Can anyone provide some insight as to which unit goes with the tank that I have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by john112deere
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxlh View Post
Strippers, ammo and SKS, wow, that is almost sig worthy!!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2018, 06:45 PM
don't play well w others

dustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond repute
How deep is the tank?

There are 2 different tanks, one hangs lower than the other. I think the plastic tank is deeper, than the steel tank
Old 01-23-2018, 10:06 AM
Tonto Papadapolous

fatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond reputefatherdoug has a reputation beyond repute
I don't remember, but after looking at the depth of the replacement steel tanks(aftermarket), It looks like the plastic is quite a bit deeper than the metal. I'm thinking 10" is for the plastic. Thank you.

Quote:
I think the lens of time is required to differentiate between the real milestones, and the detours along the way.
Quote:
Old 01-23-2018, 11:47 AM
don't play well w others

dustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond reputedustybumpers has a reputation beyond repute
No problem
Old 01-25-2018, 11:12 AM

406f150 is on a distinguished road
I just had mine out of the plastic tank last summer when I was revamping my fuel system, but I can't remember how long it was. It looked good and was working with the gauge so I didn't pay that much attention to it. Just had to replace the rear one with the new tank. Now the front one isn't working! I think it has more to do with the plug not making good connection though.

Keep us updated with which one works.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:25 PM
Ford Parts Guru

BKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherdoug View Post
I have a 1978 F-150 4WD, 133" WB with the original plastic, midship 26 gallon tank. I replaced the sending unit on the tank about 9 years ago, but the sending unit and/or the float appears to have gone bad (No level indication on the gauge).
The float is available by itself and is made of two pieces of brass soldered together. Solder breaks down, gas seeps in, float settles towards the bottom of the tank.

The float (C0AF-9202-B) is available from Ford and all the repro parts sellers.

2017 Fusion SE
Old 01-27-2018, 10:14 PM
Tonto Papadapolous

Thank you, Bill. This is a 49 state truck, non evap emissions with a 26 gal tank.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-28-2018, 11:04 AM
Ford Parts Guru

BKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant futureBKW has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherdoug View Post
Thank you, Bill. This is a 49 state truck, non evap emissions with a 26 gal tank.
Doesn't matter, the float is the same: 1957/79 all Passenger Cars & F100/350, 1961/79 Econoline & 1966/79 Bronco.

2017 Fusion SE
Old 01-29-2018, 08:40 AM
Texas Chapter member

Jasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to beholdJasperrc is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by 406f150 View Post
... I think it has more to do with the plug not making good connection though...
That's a good point, in addition to the plug, be sure your ground connection is good as well.

'77 F100 Flareside

"If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway."