Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

6.0 question for Vince

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Quick question, on a 2004 or 2005 6.0 in an F-250, if a customer rolls in with the head gasket problem, how many hours labor are billed (avg) and what's a ballpark on parts (full retail)?

*From either a post/thread or your earlier vid that I haven't seen in a long time, I so want to say 24 hours labor.........

blacksnapon

Staff member
When they were warranty, 14-15 hours. Now, depending on add ons, aftermarket equipment, or any unforeseen obstacles, anywhere from 24 to 32 hours. As far as price, you don't know if it needs a head, or two until its torn down (roughly $1k each, a high estimate). Figuring in fluids, filters, and any other possibilities (glow plug harnesses, egr valve, O-rings, copper washers, etc., anywhere from $3k to $7k realistically. If someone gives you an exact figure before anything is dismantled, go somewhere else.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
When they were warranty, 14-15 hours. Now, depending on add ons, aftermarket equipment, or any unforeseen obstacles, anywhere from 24 to 32 hours. As far as price, you don't know if it needs a head, or two until its torn down (roughly $1k each, a high estimate). Figuring in fluids, filters, and any other possibilities (glow plug harnesses, egr valve, O-rings, copper washers, etc., anywhere from $3k to $7k realistically. If someone gives you an exact figure before anything is dismantled, go somewhere else.

Thanks Vince, it's appreciated.

Reason I ask is, I know of an 04 or 05 King Ranch with most likely under 100K miles. Owner is a relative of a friend and a high school buddy of mine....and he has a little problem with "bottled fuel". Truck doesn't run, when it barely ran he got a price (estimate?) of $3k to fix at a Ford dealer. He doesn't have that, but because of the need for the "bottled fuel", I'm sure that I could wave $10K in front of him and have the truck. Trouble is, he can't remember what needed to be fixed. I do know it's unmodded and normally, the man was good about maintaining vehicles.

With all this said, I was wondering what $3k would buy. Seems high for a FICM, me is not sure what common denominators would cause it to not run (surely, there are many reasons, me was just wondering about common ones) so I threw out the head gasket thing. And of course, with it not being driven for 2-3 years, rusty cylinders comes to mind, and a $spendy fix. I haven't
sat down and tried to figure out what it's worth, but because it's a .......6.0, and given their history, I'm real, real nervous.

*Edit: Clean truck all around, no damage, tires good, etc etc. Engine not running. IMO, huge crapshoot, even at $10K.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Just to give you a top end price for comparison, $15k to $18k for a black box 6 liter (Ford reman) with 2 year unlimited mileage warranty. Parts and labor.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
I'll keep that in mind, thanks Vince it's appreciated!

Ford Truck Articles