Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Insurance

I wasn't sure where to put this, but how do you guys go about insuring your old trucks? Liability only, full coverage, value, etc.? I'm going to be putting insurance on my '79 so I can start driving it and the difference between having $3000 full coverage and liability is only $15 every 6 months. Some people have told me that you don't want to insure old trucks with full coverage at a low value because if hardly anything happens to them they are totaled and even if you buy it back you have a salvage title. On the other hand, if someone hits me and their insurance is liable they will likely total it without me having any say in it. So... what do you guys think? I'm of the mindset that if something happens to it I'd rather get something than nothing.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Appraisal and full coverage of an agreed amount. If repairs are needed, then NOS or equivalent parts and an agreement of an appropriate repair facility...ie...not Maaco.

I've talked with my insurance agent regarding this and that was her advice to me and for the amount that my truck will be driven and that it is an antique, the rates were pretty low.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
There are classic car insurance carriers that can be customized to your trucks value and type of use.

We use Grundy.

Is it a show truck?

Is there sentimental value?

Sent from my SM-N915R4 using Tapatalk

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
It really depends what condition your truck is and what it means to you. I always had basic liability on mine but it was just cheap transportation at the time.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
$3,000 every six months? What's the thing worth (to an insurance co)? Doubt it's more than $10k...

I'd probably take the gamble I wouldn't wreck it for the year or 18 months before I'd be money ahead even if it DID get wrecked...but that's just me.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Some companies limit the amount of miles that you can put on what is labeled as a classic. So if you do get classic car insurance, do your homework.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Some companies limit the amount of miles that you can put on what is labeled as a classic. So if you do get classic car insurance, do your homework.

These companies also allow you to adjust your policy to still be covered, but you pay more for additional mileage, different types of usage, etc.

$3,000 every six months? What's the thing worth (to an insurance co)? Doubt it's more than $10k...

I'd probably take the gamble I wouldn't wreck it for the year or 18 months before I'd be money ahead even if it DID get wrecked...but that's just me.

Haha no the policy I was quoted is much cheaper than that. $230/6 months for full coverage with uninsured & underinsured (had a bad experience once), driving less than 6500 miles a year, and the same medical coverage I have on my regular daily driver truck. $3000 value on the vehicle is what I told the insurance company to figure for value for quote purposes. I can set that value to what I want, just debating on how high it should be to cover the truck without totaling it in a small accident. The truck is in pretty good shape, but definitely not show worthy. Might just stick with what I have right now.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
i always do full.. but $3000 seems excessive for a payment.. some companies if you dont drive the vehicles much will give you a discount on the lower accumulated miles.. when i had my s10 it was $130 every 6 because of the age and low miles... mustang and my 350 are $230-250 each...

Ford Truck Articles