Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

78 Ford Bronco Concept

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Kill it with fire...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Whaaaaaa? Other than the cap, I like it.

No dentside should ever be disgraced with thug life rims and tires like that. The tonka truck grille insert shoulda stayed with the 1st graders. No 4x4 should ever have the roof chopped. Never been a fan of any soft/half tops on Broncos. I will say though...interior and body panels are well worth using.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Kill it with fire...

What are you talking about? THIS IF FREAKIN AWESOME! I'd buy that in a second!

Whaaaaaa? Other than the cap, I like it.

I kinda like the chopped roof.....gives the already classic look a modern feel. Wheels are sweet, AC, etc. Yup, has most of what I'd want in my next classic ford.

Wish he had some pics of the engine bay.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
No dentside should ever be disgraced with thug life rims and tires like that. The tonka truck grille insert shoulda stayed with the 1st graders. No 4x4 should ever have the roof chopped. Never been a fan of any soft/half tops on Broncos. I will say though...interior and body panels are well worth using.

I agree with you, except that I like the chopped top. That's the only thing about it that I like....

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I agree with you, except that I like the chopped top. That's the only thing about it that I like....

I don't mind a chopped roof on a 2by...but what sense does it make to try and get lower in a 4x4???

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine

I do like the wheels as they also give the more modern touch, but I would have gone with 15"s like what's on mine for sure. So, I'll give you that. But the grill, paint, and chopped top is pretty darn cool and custom.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I do like the wheels as they also give the more modern touch, but I would have gone with 15"s like what's on mine for sure. So, I'll give you that. But the grill, paint, and chopped top is pretty darn cool and custom.

Don't get me wrong, I think alot of those mods can be tastefully done...I just think it was too big and too much for this rig.

It looks like a chevy.:hammer: :hammer:

That was my first thought...some redneck hillbilly engineer tried turning a 67-72 blazer in to a Bronco.

Oh...and the last pic is a chevy.

Wheels and tires are pointless and undeniably unacceptable on a 4WD unit of the Bronco's capacity. Might as well put racing slicks on a Range Rover. By the time you air down you are rolling on the rims. The Bronco WORKS for a living... Especially a 78-79! That thing would end up all scratched, wheels mangled and tires shredded the first time you tried to USE it. (I'm picturing one of the closing scenes of Pixar's "Cars" where the old military Jeep has the pimped-out H2's in "boot camp" and they've never even been off-road!)

The "cropped" top is interesting but highly impractical. The bed on a Bronco is already too short and with this thing you lose the ability to keep anything but your rear seat passengers out of the weather.

The grille... yeah Ford abandoned this grille concept when they abandoned the 2004 concept. Now I'm not sayin' it was the grille that killed it but the "egg-crate" nose was one of the constants to the full-size Bronco styling. From 78-96 those big square/rectangular holes told you a Ford truck was staring at you! Even the early (66-77) models only had the one bar across the middle to hold the "F-O-R-D" letters. Sorry, while I don't dislike the way it looks, it just does NOT say "Bronco" or even "Ford Truck" to me.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
greystreak92 said:
Wheels and tires are pointless and undeniably unacceptable on a 4WD unit of the Bronco's capacity. Might as well put racing slicks on a Range Rover. By the time you air down you are rolling on the rims. The Bronco WORKS for a living... Especially a 78-79! That thing would end up all scratched, wheels mangled and tires shredded the first time you tried to USE it. (I'm picturing one of the closing scenes of Pixar's "Cars" where the old military Jeep has the pimped-out H2's in "boot camp" and they've never even been off-road!)

The "cropped" top is interesting but highly impractical. The bed on a Bronco is already too short and with this thing you lose the ability to keep anything but your rear seat passengers out of the weather.

The grille... yeah Ford abandoned this grille concept when they abandoned the 2004 concept. Now I'm not sayin' it was the grille that killed it but the "egg-crate" nose was one of the constants to the full-size Bronco styling. From 78-96 those big square/rectangular holes told you a Ford truck was staring at you! Even the early (66-77) models only had the one bar across the middle to hold the "F-O-R-D" letters. Sorry, while I don't dislike the way it looks, it just does NOT say "Bronco" or even "Ford Truck" to me.

This thing was made for cruise, comfort and looks. I still like it!

It misses the mark guys. Its anachronous to the vintage of the truck. It fails because it removes functionality from the vehicle. If you want to cruise the boulevard in something that will turn heads, you don't need a full-size 4WD to do it, so why waste the time and effort (and a vehicle that has so much greater potential as originally designed) when you could turn a lot more heads with some classic convertible or loping muscle car in the same capacity.

This is a subjective topic so no one is right or wrong but those of us who appreciate the Bronco for what it IS, rather than what some individual decided to turn it into 35 years later, will never see the validity in this kind of modification. The changes remove part of what the vehicle was built to be in the first place which detracts from its value and its place in the history of the model, the classification, and the industry on the whole. There are plenty of mods that would look just as good and NOT remove the original functionality from the vehicle.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
greystreak92 said:
It misses the mark guys. Its anachronous to the vintage of the truck. It fails because it removes functionality from the vehicle. If you want to cruise the boulevard in something that will turn heads, you don't need a full-size 4WD to do it, so why waste the time and effort (and a vehicle that has so much greater potential as originally designed) when you could turn a lot more heads with some classic convertible or loping muscle car in the same capacity.

This is a subjective topic so no one is right or wrong but those of us who appreciate the Bronco for what it IS, rather than what some individual decided to turn it into 35 years later, will never see the validity in this kind of modification. The changes remove part of what the vehicle was built to be in the first place which detracts from its value and its place in the history of the model, the classification, and the industry on the whole. There are plenty of mods that would look just as good and NOT remove the original functionality from the vehicle.

I understand this......but not all utility or even work trucks are restored for their original intent of its build.

I have a lifted show truck that will never go offroad (not as long as I'm its owner anyways) and I still enjoy turning heads in what I prefer to have as a classic as opposed to a car. I love trucks, doesn't mean I have to love offroading or mudding or their original purpose.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
greystreak92 said:

You can pretty much say this same speech to ALL the lowered (slammed) trucks out there who could easily drive a Ferrari or Lamborghini to be that close to the ground but like myself, are drawn to a pick up truck.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
^^^I will say that most 4x4 enthusiasts, especially in the old steel niche, that style is not typically a reflection of their personality. There are stereotypes and inner circles for a reason, and it's usually because they're composed of like minded folks and interests.

Ford Truck Articles