Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Fuel in Oil

1995 F150 5.8L 351W 2WD

So while I'm dealing with an overheating issue, came across another:

Oil pressure on dash is low, but it does change while driving. I can smell fuel, especially during startup. OIL DIP STICK SMELLS LIKE FUEL.

Hoping it is not too serious...?

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
time to check your fuel pressure
Sounds like your fuel pressure regulator is taking a poop , and running fuel back into your charcoal canister, and back into your vacuum system
change this asap, as it will blow out the check valve in the return line to your fuel tank too. eventually it will fill the opposite tank you are pulling fuel from

Oh, and change your oil asap too!
When it rains it pours!

Ford used to have a recall on this, but it has expired.

I think so. I get 13-14 miles to the gallon. I changed the oil exactly 2 months ago. I know the fuel pressure on both tanks is barely at the lower end of passing.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Pressure regulator isn't too bad to change.
Probably you need valve cover gaskets anyway, so it's a good excuse to pull the plenum
whole process, valve covers and all, 1/2 day

I was hesitant to think it was the fuel pressure regulator as I don't have fouled spark plugs, black smoke out of tailpipe, no gasoline in the vacuum line attached, and the pressure increased by 10 psi when the vacuum line was disconnected for KOER. Thoughts?

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
That's a good thing then

Pull the vacuum line off the charcoal can down by the battery, and see if you smell/see gas there, if not we can check the FPR off the list.

Just tested fuel pressure...
KOEO: 12psi in the back tank, 28psi for front
KOER: 30psi BACK AND FRONT
Disconnected vacuum hose: both tanks increased by 10psi
10 minutes after engine off: both tanks increased by 10psi
Definitely some low fuel pressures.

Just changed the oil. Old oil was dark brown/red and smelled like fuel. Oil filter was seized on. After new oil, oil pressure was normal for the first drive then fell below again. Dip stick again smells like fuel.

Ford Truck Articles