Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

I need some hep and quick...

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
So, started diagnosing the issues with the truck tonight and found out I'm not getting power to the pumps through the solenoid, can wire it constant hot and it'll run like a top... Swapped solenoids and still have issues...

First, should the connection point on the solenoid that the pump's wire attaches to be hot with KOEO or KOER???

Second, where does that powered wire go from the solenoid? I know there's relays involved but does that wire go directly across to the relay(s)? Or does it come from the relay(s)?

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
I need to figure out the power from the solenoid issue first, then I'll work my way back, that and I don't know which relay(s) control the pumps...

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
One other thing to check - the inertia switch will keep your pumps from running. My 86 eventually wouldn't start because the wire to the inertia switch corroded and became disconnected. I was tugging on wires and that one came loose at the firewall. Twisted them together, bypassing the switch, and it's been running that way since '02.

One other thing to check - the inertia switch will keep your pumps from running. My 86 eventually wouldn't start because the wire to the inertia switch corroded and became disconnected. I was tugging on wires and that one came loose at the firewall. Twisted them together, bypassing the switch, and it's been running that way since '02.

If I may suggest it. You should fix tour inertia switch as soon as possible. If you have an accident and no switch, your fuel pumps will not shut off. That could be very bad, especially if you have a fire. Just my opinion.

mtflat

Flatheads Forever
Yea tim he is right, also bypassing a safety device is illegal.

Sorry, for the legal technicalities of the forum, you should always take advantage of every safety mechanism that the gov't determines you should have. Please don't take my advice.

Sorry, for the legal technicalities of the forum, you should always take advantage of every safety mechanism that the gov't determines you should have. Please don't take my advice.

Has nothing to do with technicalities, bypassing it for troubleshooting is fine. My suggestion is aimed at you to put yours back on. Would you take a pressure hose filled with gas and point it at a fire? That's what would happen. I'm just trying to make you safe. Just my opinion.

LEB Paul

I like Broncos
Might build oil pressure, but that doesn't mean it's sensing it.

On my dad's '95 w/5.8 you can hear the fuel pumps prime when you turn the key on, so I would think that means the pumps are hot as soon as the key is switched on - this is just a WAG though, so take it for what it's worth.

Have you looked in the owner's manual to see which relay under the hood runs the fuel pumps? Possible that it's fused under the dash as well, but again WAGs here.

Have you tried bypassing the inertia switch as was suggested earlier?

Just some ideas, take em for what they're worth.

Ford Truck Articles